Replacement nut: which material to choose?

I'd start off with "Let it Be." Then pick up "Tim." "Pleased to Meet Me" is probably their best sounding album in terms of studio production. They go down hill from there, but they're the world's best rock band, next to the Stones.

Armistice said:
I have an early 80s model Burns Bison which has a brass nut and bridge - never seen that on anything else. Sustains for days on the open strings.

I retrofit my '72 LP Special with a brass nut and a Schaller brass microtuner bridge (much more mass than the standard bridge). That guitar will sustain all damned day long.

The Strat Plus has a roller nut that's made from stainless steel, and it sustains very well, too, even though it has a tremolo.

apl said:
My Alvarez acoustic has a brass nut and bridge, and ash top, sides, and back.
Cool, apl. I don't thing I've ever seen an acoustic with a brass nut and bridge. Did it come that way standard, or did you retrofit it?

Zaphod B said:
Cool, apl. I don't thing I've ever seen an acoustic with a brass nut and bridge. Did it come that way standard, or did you retrofit it?

No, it came that way. It's the only ash bodied acoustic I've seen. It's got an abalone A on the headstock. My wife bought it for me 20+ years ago. It's got "FESTIVAL" written in the block inlay in the 19th fret.

The guy at store said that Alvarez was marketing the ash and brass to brighten up finger picked tones. I don't finger pick, but the uniqueness of the instrument appealled to me.

ggunn said:
Brass is fine if you don't have a tremelo, or if it locks, but strings do not slide over brass well at all.

Strangely enough it's a very clean sounding, twangy sort of thing that's really good for surfy, Shadowsy type stuff and it has a tremolo and little rollers for each string up near the tuning pegs - you had to keep everything clean and oiled to do serious trem stuff on it though - but you're right, metal on metal isn't a great sliding sort of combo - lots of pencil lead used to keep it oiled. I rarely play it these days and am pretty much over tremolo anyway..

Back