Removing a Kick Drum from an Acapella

MeltdownStudio

Hi i produced a track 2 years and sent it off to a label to get signed and they signed it happy days then 2 days ago it got released without even me knowing (lol) but the problem is the version they have i was never happy with the vocal in it, its this vocal here soul-heaven-acapella-goodfellas (if you just click download you can listen to it first) the problem is that there is a kick drum behind parts of the acapella that i used in the original track. How i fixed this was, i matched it to the tempo of the track and layered my own kick drum over it to kinda mask it and used loads of eg to try remove the bottom end but i have a delay effect on the vocal so you can hear the delayed kicks in the track plus after eqing the the low end out to try mask the kick drum you can hear the vocal is missing that now

Can anyone help me out here i seen loads of videos on how to remove vocals from tracks but not many doing the opposite as in removing the instruments i.e only a few drum hits in this case

Thanks

Jay

Last edited:
If you got signed and your record company released your song without notifying you, you might have bigger problems that removing a kick drum from an already released song. What was in the contract you signed?

If you got signed and your record company released your song without notifying you, you might have bigger problems that removing a kick drum from an already released song. What was in the contract you signed?

Im in talks with the label owner now so everything is cool he's going to update the track for me soon as i send it on but that problem im having is holding me up so any help would be very grateful

Yes i have the original Cubase file to edit the track can you help me with my problem did you have a listen to the acapella

Thanks

Jay

Not a lot of info to work with here. How many tracks? What was on them? Was the delay applied to the stereo bus, or to each track individually.

Not a lot of info to work with here. How many tracks? What was on them? Was the delay applied to the stereo bus, or to each track individually.

Its a pre recorded acapella but part of it has a kick drum playing in the backgroud thats that part im trying to eliminate,with out killing the vocal so much, its on its own stereo track, they delay was applied on the vocal track so this can be edited easily

Thanks for your reply

Jay

I'm on my phone, so I can't listen right now...

Try to find a kick hit in the original file that doesnt have any vocals over it. Copy and paste that hit to a different track, lining them up perfectly with the kicks in the original file. Hit the phase reverse button on the new kick channel and it should cancel out all the kicks on the a capella.

You will need to turn off any effects on the a capella and mix just the a capella and phase reversed kick track down to a new file. Use that new file to replace the original a capella ( turn off the phase reversed kick track) and turn the effects back on.

That is probably the best chance you have of getting a cleaned up a capella.

I'm on my phone, so I can't listen right now...

Try to find a kick hit in the original file that doesnt have any vocals over it. Copy and paste that hit to a different track, lining them up perfectly with the kicks in the original file. Hit the phase reverse button on the new kick channel and it should cancel out all the kicks on the a capella.

You will need to turn off any effects on the a capella and mix just the a capella and phase reversed kick track down to a new file. Use that new file to replace the original a capella ( turn off the phase reversed kick track) and turn the effects back on.

That is probably the best chance you have of getting a cleaned up a capella.

Top notch advice there thank you very much i recon that will work, im back in the studio this afternoon so will give it a go, ill post back here to let you know how i got on

Thanks
Jay

If this is a real record label, why didn't they send you to a real studio to have the song recorded properly?

If it ain't warner brothers, the record lable doesn't have the budget. You wouldn't believe how small budgets are from lefitimate record lables that have a 20-30 year history. Chances are, he is dealing with a start-up indie lable of some sort. They will have almost nothing to soend.

If this is a real record label, why didn't they send you to a real studio to have the song recorded properly?

If only mate, its HardHouse music in a very very small scene between Ireland & England and its getting big in Austrailia, the record labels just sign tracks these's days that are already produced and release them on local digital download store's its usually a 50/50 split Label/Artist and the store's take 10% before that

If it ain't warner brothers, the record lable doesn't have the budget. You wouldn't believe how small budgets are from lefitimate record lables that have a 20-30 year history. Chances are, he is dealing with a start-up indie lable of some sort. They will have almost nothing to soend.

Its a new label from the UK, im a up comming Irish Producer but have been djing in the scene since 1997, im also setting up my own label so any work i do in the future will be comming out on my own but its nice to get signed by Labels in the UK big or small its all about getting my name out now.

What am I missing here? I was under the impression that this was an A Capella vocal recording that had a kick drum track that had to be removed. The "end result" is a dance thing. What did I miss?

Now I am really confused, this must be the strangest end to a thread I have seen, where is the a cappella? :confused:

How the hell would you have even heard the original kick in the mix LOL.

Alan.

Removing drum from accapella would normally mean doing nothing as the acapella would, by virtue of the common understanding of the name, be an unaccompanied vocal.
So the fellow had kick or ckick bleed on the vocal track & wanted it removed.
Hmm. It's a very flexible language we operate with.

I assume the Phase Inversion will get nasty comb filtering, as it is not a sample U use and will therefore Sound different with every hit... But it will be worth a try. I assume that the EQ Approach will work better, especially, if you use only short fades to the EQed track and back. I assume that the kick is rather short to be heared now...

Back