Reel Pro Sound Guys?

Rufer

Has anyone here had their deck repaired/refurbished from the Reel Pro Sound Guys? I haven't received my 48 yet (praying it arrives alive) but the potential to get the deck completely refurbed to like new is tempting. Has anyone done this. $500 not including parts is super expensive but long-term, maybe it's worth it?

well....

I don't know them and have nothing to say about them.

If I were going to get my house renovated I would ask the contractor for references and give those people a call to see what they think of the contractor and the services he did.

Best of luck!

For a contractor I would probably do the same because there are few other resources to get that kind of info. However, you would have to assume that the contractor would only give you references for people he didn't hose or cause major structural damage right.

So I was hoping, as I've seen their link a few times on this board and they seem to have a national presence, that I could get a less-filtered pool of reference.

Last edited:
Well I ordered a reprint of a Manual from them for top dollar and when I got it the pictures (which looked fine in the auction) looked like a shit zerox copy. Yeah they offered a money back guarantee but who want to go thru that, so I kept it.
I also saw some channel cards they had for the 32/24/38 machines up for auction. Their buy it now was $39.95 Holy SH!T!! Most other cards of the same type were going for 5-15 bucks for the same thing.
I WILL NOT deal with them as they seem to think anything related to ANALOG is worth 5 times what it should be.
Thats my opinion.:mad:

I bought some stuff from these guys and had a couple long telephone calls with them on the phone. I would recommend them. Dude was super helpful on the phone. he even told me NOT to ship the deck to him and it would be better/esier/cheaper to troubleshoot problems myself.

They may be a bit pricy, but what are your alternatives? Learn to do it yourself for cheap, or pay somebody big $$ to do it for you. Its the same as working on your car.

As far as parts, most of their parts that I comparison shopped, seemed to be in line with the market value. They say their parts are guaranteed in new or "like new" condition, so you can't really compare the cost of their channel cards to something that came out of a used, beat up, old deck that is being parted out on ebay. They sold me a re-lapped headstack for a Tascam 38, guaranteed to be at 98% or better, for $150. I thought that was a good price.

Call them up and talk to them, they are in Montana (I think). I thought dude said they don't do re-furbs anymore though? I dunno, I could be wrong...

There is always the chance that your deck might not need that much work. I say its better to learn to DIY.

Depending on if they have a capstan motor for my Pioneer, I'll be doing my first bit of business with them. I'm just waiting on an email from them.:confused:

Real Unprofessional Sound Guys

I've done business with them, and they are the most unprofessional "Pros" I've ever dealt with. They've changed addresses at least three times in the last year, and currently only have a PO box. They also hold and unsatisfactory rating with the Montana Better Business Bureau.

I ordered some parts from them and they took my money (Pay Pal), but never acknowledged receiving my order and never shipped the parts. I tried numerous times to contact them by phone and email, and on the two occasions that I was actually able to speak with someone, I was told that I had to call back when the "parts guys" or the "shipping guys" were in, since the person I was talking to knew nothing about my order. The other six times I called I got an answering machine, and never received any call backs or other contact after numerous emails and leaving phone messages.

I filed a claim with Pay Pal, and complaints with the Montana BBB and the Federal Internet Fraud Division. Pay Pal found in my favor based primarily on them never responding to Pay Pal either, but it didn't do me any good since there was no money left in their Pay Pal account to refund my money. This confirmed the rumors I'd heard that they are in serious financial trouble.

Stay very far away from these "guys"! If any of you have equipment at their PO box for repairs, I wish you the best of luck. You'll need it!

I guess it's safe to say: pursue at your own risk.
Because, that's just the way it is. :)

...why should they waste their time for 5-15 bucks?
I know I would not. Would you? (by "you" I mean anybody who thinks that 10-20 bucks is too much for a "shit zerox copy" of a manual.) You can try this, go to local 'print-shop' and make a copy of a manual and then go to post office and ship it to yourself, and then think would you do this for somebody for less than 20 bucks plus shipping or so.
You can try to do the same with recording equipment/electronics parts. Get some recorders, part them out, sort them by "types", do some "unprofessional" check-through, set up a web-site, make photos of items, type description, update your site, set-up pay-pal account, receive orders, reply eMails, unswer the phone calls, read complains, answer complains or don't unswer them, get pissed, get happy, receive orders, find the "items" on your shelfs (uh, shelves???, what shelevs? , - those that you built or bought, I guess.....), stuff parts in the bags, wrap them up, stuff them into the boxes, print address labels, make sure you've got address right (or maybe you set up a software to do this sh*t), take a ride to your post office, pump the gas on the way up, or maybe you've set-up some "pick up" deal or something - be crative, you your time "wisely"..... there are more things to do, but I am already tired to type...
When you try doing all this crap then you'll know better what is "the right" price. Also you'll know that P.O.Box IS! the only way to go.

If you want stuff "cheap" - it's available, just serve yourself, digg through garage-sale junk or surf eBay every day, have fun doing so.

Roaddog50 said:
Pay Pal found in my favor based primarily on them never responding to Pay Pal either, but it didn't do me any good since there was no money left in their Pay Pal account to refund my money.

Is it so? What exactly PayPal email address you made you payment to? We can check it out, you know. Post away. ;)
Mr. RoadDog, do you know how paypal accounts work at all or do you assume that nobody knows how paypal works. ????

By the way, I am NOT! trying to "defend" Reel Pro Sound Guys, as I can't nor care to do so. I just happen to know a thing or two about running a small independent business and what it is like. It's like riding on a dusty bumpy road in the old truck delivering eggs, and , yes, on top of it you screw things up on your own from time to time by not keepping your eye on the road and running over a skunk or even really screw it - hitting a deer. You loose all the eggs and customers and income every time you do so, so who is screwed at the end?. You can quit or you can keep going.

As for BBB-dot-"org" and alike(s) , I would not reply to their "requests" (or what ever those scums may be after ) either. And their "president" and board of "directors" can stuff their "Accreditations" in their rears and can "report" what ever they wish, see if I give a damn. I don't owe them a dime, damn it, and their "database" means no sh*t to me :mad:
But that's jut me, you know :p :D :D :D
And, by the way, BBB: "BBB - Not for profit - my smelly a$$!!!!!!!!!!" :mad: :mad: :mad:

/later, guys :)

Well I for one am happy to say I told everyone so.
Dr. Zee...
You misquoted me about the 10-20 for a shit zerox copy manual. The Manual was more like 40-50 bucks. Not 10-20. Had the manual only been 20 bucks I wouldnt have even thought twice about pictures that no one can make out.
And yes when EVERYbody else on EBAY is selling those channel cards for 10-20 bucks a piece and then you get the Reel Pro Rippoff guys charging 50 bucks for the exact same thing. Yeah I call that a Shady Business. A Business Im happy to see go out of Business.
:D
That reminds me. I work in construction. Everyone has heard that the whole housing industry has been hit really hard and there isnt ANY work out there. Well Im aquaintence/friends with a guy who is also in the same business as I and last time I talked to him his prices for doing a job were easily double what they were 2 years ago. He said he had to do that in order to stay afloat in these hard times. The he asked me how my work situation is and I told him, I actually have plenty of work. Why??? Cause I didn't inflate my prices to make up for the lack of Business...Sound familiar???

By the way, I am NOT! trying to "defend" Reel Pro Sound Guys, as I can't nor care to do so.
Then maybe you shouldnt try so hard to "NOT" defend a Shady Business that you have nothing to do with...
Take a look at my posts on the subject for an idea of how not to come off as defending a Ripp-Off Company...:D

Then maybe you shouldnt try so hard to "NOT" defend a Shady Business that you have nothing to do with...
Maybe you should not use the word should too much.
Take a look at my posts on the subject for an idea ...

I did take a look at your post on the subject. It contains no ideas.

Also I did NOT misquote you. You said "top dollar". I have no idea what you were talking about, nor really care to find out, because you could post exact information, such as what exactly manual you've purchased and how much exactly you've paid, but Noooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!, instead you choose to post - "They charge top dollar for shit".
Which is fine, you do what you do and you are free to do so, and so am I free to dismiss what ever you say/post.

Their prices for "sh*t copy manuals" looks like something around $0.30 or so per page. Is it too much? Maybe so. I personally don't see it that way, simply because I know I would not do this kind of work for anybody for less than 50 cent per page/copy.
poopchute said:
Sound familiar???
No it does not. "Interesting" fictional story, also pretty boring and it does not apply.

poopchute said:
A Business Im happy to see go out of Business.
Yeah! They all are going to go and rather soon. In "Analog Only" recording it will be also "Do It Yourself Only", which is fine with me :p :D

/later

Is it just me, or does Dr. Zee have an attitude?

Whether or not Zee believes what I posted about the RPSGs is less than irrelevant, and I'm not going to waste the keystrokes to provide him with any follow up info. Someone with a chip on their shoulders has pretty much already made up their mind about everything. Anyone that cares to can check out the Real Pro Sound Guys on their own. Oh; and be sure and use the BBB when doing so. They are an awesome organization with a stellar reputation!

I'm not convinced that Zee doesn't have some ties with the RPSGs, since he jumped in with both feet to defend their lack of customer service, business sense, common sense and common courtesy, even though he disclaimed he was doing so.

If his lengthy rant was a description of how he does or did business, then it's explains why he hates not only the BBB, but apparently his customers as well.

Last edited:
I'm not going to waste the keystrokes to provide him with any follow up info.
All I ask is the exact eMail address to find out which PayPal account did not satisfy your refund claim, that was ruled by PayPal in your favor. Is it too much to ask? If so, then your claim and your entire story may well be a fiction. It's dismissed.

If his lengthy rant was a description of how he does or did business....
Yep, you've got it. That's exactly how I did and do it. I deliver eggs in the old truck on an old bumpy road and all the eggs I break are the eggs I buy.

...then it's explains why he hates not only the BBB, but apparently his customers as well.
Nop, it does not explain a single thing - not to you, Mr "RoadDog", that's for sure.
I don't hate BBB, I dismiss them and all the other self-appointed fake phony frauds parasites alike. For you it's an awesome organization with a stellar reputation, for me it's a waste of coffee, office space and jet-fuel. We just have to agree to disagree on that one.

I don't hate customers. There are no reasons to hate customers. Customers are just people for whom I've done some work for a fee. Why would I hate them?

I have to dismiss the rest of RoadDog's "intelligent guessing", because I've got to catch my plane to Montana. Gotta run now. :D:p:D

/later

Did anyone else hear that????

What was that? Why... it sounded like some self appointed arbiter of the truth cavalierly dismissing anything anyone else posts that contradicts their position or rantings. All this as if their irrelevant dismissals have any power or significance whatsoever.

It sounded kind of like someone who regards themselves so highly that they feel others are obligated to "prove" to them whether something they've posted is true, or else be subject to one of his harsh dismissals.

It almost sounded like one of those "spoons" who take great pleasure and glee in stirring up as much discontent as they can with their keyboard, since they have nothing better to do. Alas.... I was mistaken. It was a branch rubbing against the window outside, and I DISMISS it as just being the WIND.

RoadDog, you can choose to hear what ever pleases you.

I am just going to cut/paste few lines from PayPal User Agreement here.
From PayPal User Agreement:

10. Your Liability - Actions We May Take.

10.1 Your Liability. You are responsible for all Reversals, Chargebacks, Claims, fees, fines, penalties and other liability incurred by PayPal, a PayPal User, or a third party caused by or arising out of your breach of this Agreement, and/or your use of the Services. You agree to reimburse PayPal, a User, or a third party for any and all such liability.

10.2 Actions by PayPal. If we have reason to believe that you have engaged in any Restricted Activities, we may take various actions to protect PayPal, eBay, a User, a third party, or you from Reversals, Chargebacks, Claims, fees, fines, penalties and any other liability. The actions we may take include but are not limited to the following:

-We may close, suspend, or limit your access to your Account or the Services (such as limiting access to any of your Funding Sources, and your ability to send money, make withdrawals, or remove financial Information);
-We may contact buyers who have purchased goods or services from you, contact your bank or credit card issuer, and warn other Users, law enforcement, or impacted third parties of your actions;
-We may update inaccurate Information you provided us;
-We may refuse to provide our Services to you in the future;
-We may hold your funds for up to 180 Days if reasonably needed to protect against the risk of liability; and
-We may take legal action against you.

PayPal, in its sole discretion, reserves the right to terminate this Agreement, access to its website, or access to the Service for any reason and at any time upon notice to you and payment to you of any unrestricted funds held in custody for you.

If somebody (a person or a company) is engaged in activity of accepting payments without providing product/service using PayPal it will not last.
Such activity is not a matter of "bad/good business", it's a matter of breaking The Law.
You've made a claim (in public!) that contains serious charges. You don't have to prove anything, of course.

Have a nice day.

Pitiful... Most Pitiful!

If anyone with any integrity and significance, which excludes the author of the last thread, questions my honesty, please note the email I've copied and pasted below.

Dear XXXXXXX,

After careful review, we have concluded our investigation of the Buyer Complaint described below.

We have decided in your favor, however, we were unable to recover any funds from the seller's account. As stated in the PayPal User Agreement, recovery of funds associated with a Buyer Complaint cannot be guaranteed.

Please know that we will make our best effort to recover the funds in question if they become available in the seller's account in the future and will take appropriate action against the seller. Such action may include issuing a warning, a temporary restriction, or terminating the account. Keep in mind that PayPal uses a number of factors to determine when to take action, including member complaints. Due to privacy laws, we cannot discuss the details of any action taken. We hope you understand our policy and that it assures you that you are safe using PayPal.

-----------------------------------
Transaction Details

Seller's Name: REEL PRO SOUND GUYS
Seller's Email: sales@reelprosoundguys.com
Seller's Transaction ID: 7HS266663F716941V

Transaction Date: Apr 11, 2008
Transaction Amount: -$XXX.XX USD
Your Transaction ID: XXXXXXXXXX
Case Number: PP-466-373-608

Buyer's Transaction ID: XXXXXXXXXXXXX

What to Do Next

This case is now closed. No further action is required by you at this time.

How can this possibly be? Didn't the last thread provide concrete evidence that I was less than honest when I claimed that I wasn't refunded my money due to insufficient funds in the RPSG's Pay Pal account? Well apparently NOT!

What we can all conclude from Zee's pitiful attempt to start a fight and call another blogger a lier, is that before you appoint yourself as a blogger policeman and make baseless accusations, you had best get your facts straight!

I wish the blogger policeman a nice day too, but he'll need to wipe that egg off his face first. However; most likely he'll just "dismiss" it and leave it on there.

*** Appropriate quote: It's best to keep one's mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt!

All I asked was exact seller's eMail address. Big f*ng deal :confused::D
HERE:

REEL PRO SOUND GUYS is PayPal Verified
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PayPal's Verification System allows you to learn more about users before you pay them through PayPal. Verify that the information below is consistent with the business, organization or person you wish to pay.

Email: sales@reelprosoundguys.com
Account Creation Date: Jul. 25, 2007

To ensure that this is a legitimate PayPal Verified user, make sure that the URL of this page begins with https://www.paypal.com/.

What it Means to be Verified

To become Verified, a PayPal member in the United States must provide us with proof that he or she has opened an account at a bank or other financial institution. Because these institutions are required by law to screen account holders, PayPal's verification process increases security when you pay parties you do not know. Please note that PayPal's verification system does not constitute an endorsement of a member, nor a guarantee of a member's business practices. You should always consider other indicators when evaluating members, including length of PayPal membership and reputation scores (on eBay or other auction sites, if applicable).
You can get your money back and the action can be taken.

Also, RoadDog,
I don't question your honesty, simply because I don't really give a damn about your honesty nor about anything else, I have no idea who you are and what you do and what for you do it, nor I really care to know. I just read your post and follow your post with reply with question(s) in it - qustions related to content of the post you've made. That's all.

You can post anything you wish and express anything you feel in any way you can or prefer. I can question anything I wish. You don't have to respond really.

/take care

Back