Recordings damage car speakers

Have you heard the clip he posted? Sounds good to several of us. A little too much compression, but otherwise, nothing that would cause his problem.

I listened one...and I agree, I don't hear anything crackling, but I'm just using some deductive reasoning....if other/commercial clips sound fine, then it's something with his clips.....???

I'm just wondering of we are listening to the exact same file that he's playing on his systems?
We are hearing a converted SoundCloud file....what is he playing on his systems...???

Its funny at this point we've narrowed down to the issue to such a non-issue. I mean, really....if the difference between a converted file and the original is what would cause speakers to blow up.......I mean, really?

Just accept the fact you had shitty speakers and they all went out at the same time.

I listened one...and I agree, I don't hear anything crackling, but I'm just using some deductive reasoning....if other/commercial clips sound fine, then it's something with his clips.....???

I'm just wondering of we are listening to the exact same file that he's playing on his systems?
We are hearing a converted SoundCloud file....what is he playing on his systems...???

This is the exact file:
View attachment 82879

Yup, still no crackling or otherwise bad juju on my speakers. Sorry guy, the recording is still not your problem. Sounds fine, but like I said before, a little overcompressed. Especially noted are the string squeaks. Dial back on the compressor. But none of that is going to fuck up your speakers.

This is the exact file

I can hear distortion/overloading on this file....especially at like 0:08, 0:15, 0:20 and then again at 1:08 or so (I didn't listen past that)...and there are a lot of spots also where it's just getting real close to that overload point.

So yeah...it's the file, and it's too hot/overloading....and PTravel has confirmed it visually.
Didn't even see how hot it was in the DAW if you couldn't hear it...????

Also...man, what's with that OVER SATURATED reverb? I think in some spots THAT is also overloading the signal.

Next problem....

( 5 Pages..... :facepalm: )

Holy crap that's loud!!

There is also a bunch of energy in the 100-300hz range. It would sound good, but not this smashed. You have either got your gain staging all screwed up, or you are just blasting the output to the point that everything is really saturated.

Holy crap that's loud!!
I didn't notice that because I just played the track and clicked through it quickly, without comparing it to other tracks.

So maybe what's happening is that it's so much louder than other tracks that it's crackling his speakers while other tracks don't because of the volume. He doesn't hear crackling with other tracks because, without touching the volume knob, they're way lower.

That was theory #378 in this thread. :D

Intersample peaks. On come converters they won't distort while on others they will. If the crackling is the same with the volume knob turned low then it's clipping upstream, such as at the DA converter.

^^^^^^ #379.

Keep 'em coming people. I'm sure we can hit 400 by lunch time. :D

Hello. Thanks for the input everyone. I've already started experimenting with lowering the overall output. The original track was just mono guitar (with too much reverb), and I was being very careful not to clip while keeping the volume as loud as possible. I was trying to keep the instrument volume to noise ratio high, as recommended in the Guerilla Home Recording book I just read, which was recommended by this site and was very helpful. Thanks for that.

What I did do before bouncing was use the Loudness Maximizer in Izotope Ozone 4. At the loudest points it was limiting about 5-6 dBs. I guess this is consistent with what you guys are saying. It's too loud, especially for just a solo guitar recording, and the over-compression is making it sound clipped? I'll keep experimenting without such extreme compression.

Back