Recording voice with FL studio or Pro Tools or Cubase

sameedon

Dear All,

I have been making beat and music with FL studio for some time and I have decided to record voice to the tracks I make.
I am actually in the process of making a home studio.

The way I planned to do this is to use either Pro Tools or Cubase. So necessarily I would export the instrument tracks of the music tracks I make on FL studio to wave files and then on cubase or on pro Tools I would do the recording of my voice and then mastering.

I have also found that FL studio support voice recording but I am not sure if that is of high quality and that it has good effects and user friendly to do that.
Which work flow would you guys suggest to do professionally sound voice recording to my tracks. And what software would you suggest to do the voice recording, mixing and mastering with necessary effects?

FL studio is very user friendly for music production so I am going to stick to it for that. For voice recording and mastering what would you guys recommend.
I am a newbie so I would like to have something more user friendly and at the same time it should have all the effects and tools the modern music creations has.

I am going to use a condenser mic with Focusrite USB sound interface to do the recording.

Can you guys kindly advise me on the matter?

Your advise is really appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Cheers.

Don

Unless something is broken in Fruity loops (FL), there really shouldn't be any difference in what software you use.

Quality of the vocal recording will come from: the source material, the performance, The room you are in, the mic, the mic's position, gain staging and converters.

the computer program wouldn't make a difference

Last edited:
Don't believe those guys. Pro Tools sounds sooooooo much better. Why do you think they call it PRO Tools? Why do you think it's used in most studios in the world?

Just kidding. Software shouldn't make a difference. The dry (no effects) track should sound the same on Audacity than on Pro Tools.

You have been cleansed of your backwards beliefs.

salvation351.jpg

Hi Guys,

I actually need some tips and advise on this. I can understand software would not make a differenece. But when it comes to beginners, I think its good that they choose user friendly interfaces which has professional level techniques. That is why I asked this question. FL studio is undoubtedly a great tool for music production. Its very user friendly as well.

So if I can find a user friendly mixing and mastering software to generate the final outcome it would be save a lot of time for me I think. Even though I have been making music for sometime I still lack technical knowledge, for example clipping is one thing I got to know recently. and Latency when voice recording is another thing I learned recently. But with the Focusrrite the latency is very low.

What are effects that can be added to voices? Does Pro Tools have all the those tools? for example auto tune kind of effects.

Hope you guys can help me a little further on this.

Cheers to all of you.

Pro Tools does not come with a stock auto-tune. At least not one I am aware of.

I really like the dynamic plugs (compressor, EQ, gate, etc.) in Pro Tools. The dynamic plugs in Cubase are good too. The time based effects in Cubase are very bad, however.

You can do very well with most stock plugs. I always have the mindset that you're not a great engineer if you can't get good mixes with stock plugs, as long as the stock plugs suffice of course, so this whole concept is subjective.

Hi Guys,

I actually need some tips and advise on this. I can understand software would not make a differenece. But when it comes to beginners, I think its good that they choose user friendly interfaces which has professional level techniques. That is why I asked this question. FL studio is undoubtedly a great tool for music production. Its very user friendly as well.

So if I can find a user friendly mixing and mastering software to generate the final outcome it would be save a lot of time for me I think. Even though I have been making music for sometime I still lack technical knowledge, for example clipping is one thing I got to know recently. and Latency when voice recording is another thing I learned recently. But with the Focusrrite the latency is very low.

What are effects that can be added to voices? Does Pro Tools have all the those tools? for example auto tune kind of effects.

Hope you guys can help me a little further on this.

Cheers to all of you.

'User friendly mixing and mastering' and 'save a lot of time', are two statements that are not really possible together. Unless you have years of time that you consider to use, while you save time, learning to mix and master. Every software has it's own basic set of ways to get to the final result. Some software works better for others. It just depends on the user.

I personally do not care for the way Protools works. My head just does not deal with the layout. FL Studio, well, my son has that, and I think I wasted my money getting it for him. It annoys me in it's setup from the get-go. But, that does not mean it is not good for another persons purpose.

What I am saying is, it is for you 'only' to determine what is user friendly to you. And there is no easy way to get from the beginning, to the end result you wish for, without tons of experience. You will find some hints along the way that may, or may not help you (usually the secrets fail), but you cant rely on someone else advice, unless you know what it is you are asking for.

Find software that you feel works for you. Learn how to use it, and learn what works for others. Then make your own decision. There is no "press 'a' twice, xxx,oo,a,b,a,x. That is the combo for perfect mix".

quick note on FL

its a great daw but its a PIG to record into ... an no *audio* quantize either,strange that a daw aimed mainly at loopers doesn't have groove quantize ....

Yep, I'm gonna have go to agree with the guys. Recording quality depends on many other factors, like the hardware quality and the room you're in, etc...

"Easy to use" is relative. What works well for one person feels really clunky to another.

Back in my working days I had to use Pro Tools at work. I had expensive formal training from the company and I used the software 8 to 12 hours a day, every day. I got good with it but, even after several years, I always felt like I was fighting with the software rather than cooperating with it.

Then I decided I wanted a home studio (being a glutton for punishment). I tried Cool Edit and it just clicked. I felt at home instantly and have used it ever since.

No, this is not me saying you should buy Audition (what Cool Edit has become). Instead, I suggest you get the free trials of as many DAW packages as you can and try them. If you're lucky, the user interface for one or another will just click for you and feel right. That's the one to go for. As long as it has the feature you absolutely need, you can get 3rd part plug ins for almost everything else--but you're going to be spending a lot of time with your DAW--get one that feels like a comfy pair of slippers.

And all those hours are my second point. There's no substitute for just painstakingly working through your mix. There's no automatic "make it sound good" feature of plug in. Frankly, I enjoy the gradual process of things--at least I do if I don't have to use Pro Tools--so, instead of looking for instant gratification, make a coffee or open a beer and dive in. The water's fine!

Back