Recording Room

JDOD

therecordingrebels.com
Gents,

I have my front living room set up as my recording room; built a nice solid amp shelf in one alcove, guitars along one wall, work station with my massive TV in the other alcove and a nice big sofa. All good.

I have a really decent quality parquet flooring which is going to be polished up. I understand this isn't really ideal at all.

1. The sofa is pretty big but, it's not in front of the amp.
2. Would a nice big rug on the floor in front of the amp be sufficient?
3. Should I go for something more ambitious mounted on the opposite wall to the amp? I could dress it up with some cool art.

There's really nothing wrong with a hard floor in your studio. Most stuff I've read about it seems to recommend it.

No, I'm pretty set on a Blackstar Studio 20 at the moment. I'll just be sticking an SM57 on the grill. Not sure I have the patience for messing about with multiple mics and room mics.

I get pissed off enough wiggling mics around to find the sweet spot on a speaker as it is.

---------- Update ----------

There's really nothing wrong with a hard floor in your studio. Most stuff I've read about it seems to recommend it.
Cheers, I'm sure I read something recently about it being shit. I could quite easily be mistaken though.

You can always throw rugs or blankets about the place if you want. Why not have the option. Carpeting would deny you that.

You did say recording room (most of us have to record and mix in the same room). You may have to experiment where your sweet spot is and work that area. Hard surfaces are usually good for tracking to give the instrument some life. Unless you want to introduce that life through some effect. Then you might want it dead.

If you have someone who can assist, place the target in various places and take samples, hear what each part of the room is doing. You may find that depending on what sound you want, various places may have what you want. You have to record and hear, then treat as required.

If you're placing an SM57 right on the grill of the amp (and have the amp volume anywhere above 2), the room sound is not really going to enter the equation.

This. ^^^^^

The room doesn't matter when you're close miking an amp.
Brilliant. Just what I need to know.

I'm not designing the room to record in, I'm sorting out a normal living room (albeit one full of instruments). Just didn't want to do anything that would make recording in it totally shite.

Brilliant. Just what I need to know.

I'm not designing the room to record in, I'm sorting out a normal living room (albeit one full of instruments). Just didn't want to do anything that would make recording in it totally shite.

Just don't have the amp flat in a corner if you can help it. Along a flat wall would be better. Or if you have to put it in a corner, put it 45 degrees straddling the corner blasting out into the room at an angle.

Back