Recording Drum machine tracks to DAW

Kenny202

Total newb to using DAW. Dabbled around with Cakewalk and Garageband years ago but things seem very different now. I am using current version of Cakewalk now through a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. What I am interested in is recording backing tracks, mainly Drums and bass. It looks to me that setting up drum tracks in Cakewalk is doable but preferably using an electronic keyboard (The musical kind) so you can get sensitivity control? I understand this is not possible using your computer keyboard or mouse? Is that correct?

A) Is it possible to download a drum machine type thing that already has basic beats as an add on, ie no need to create your own drum tracks?

B) Alternately I already have a lot of drum tracks recorded in a Boss type home studio (BR600). Could I play the drum tracks from the audio output plugged into the Focusrite and record a drum track directly like that? I understand it will just be a signal like recording voice or guitar and I wont have any control over individual toms, snare etc as you would with a midi drum track.

Any advice appreciated

A) Yeah, almost any VSTi drum program (like EZ-Drummer) will include a midi pack with pre-sequenced beats to use.

B) Yeah, that should work pretty much how you described it.

I am actually drummer, and I have a Roland E kit. Its probably easier just to record the drums live than tweak around for hours copying, quantizing and adjusting velocities on individual drums. You can plug the output of the E drums directly into the instrument input?

When setting gain levels on the inputs mic / instrument, is there any rule of thumb? Just keep your levels from peaking into the red at higher input volumes?

I am actually drummer, and I have a Roland E kit. Its probably easier just to record the drums live than tweak around for hours copying, quantizing and adjusting velocities on individual drums. You can plug the output of the E drums directly into the instrument input?
Oh yes! That's almost certainly your best option. Send the e-kit to midi; send the midi to a VSTi drum kit

Back