Recording direct from Mesa Boogie 5/50 combo amp

Eric V

Inquiring mind wants to know
I know that I could mic the cabinet and go that route. But if I were to go direct from this amp, what connection(s) would I use to go to a Focusrite 4i4 interface, given the picture below of the amp's rear panel shown below?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-05-03 103041.png
    Screenshot 2021-05-03 103041.png
    177.1 KB · Views: 6
I thought as much. Just straight out of the effect send right into the 4i4. Now, do I use a balanced or unbalanced cable to connect the two? Probably balanced right into one of the balanced inputs in front?

For sure it's unbalanced, though the manual doesn't specify. But effects loops are designed so you can plug stomp boxes into them, which are unbalanced. The manual does caution to use short, well-shielded cables. That warning wouldn't be necessary if the connections were balanced.

For sure it's unbalanced, though the manual doesn't specify. But effects loops are designed so you can plug stomp boxes into them, which are unbalanced. The manual does caution to use short, well-shielded cables. That warning wouldn't be necessary if the connections were balanced.
Thanks for pointing that out, Chili. So a good quality guitar cord should be good? We both have several quality ones. What is the worst that would happen if they are longer cords just for an example? Just noisy/noisier? I always bought longer ones for stage use, should I buy a good quality one say under 10 feet?

I wouldn't worry about it, I'm sure a good, quality guitar cable will be fine. If it isn't, then you buy a shorter cable.

Back