recorded a martin guitar>>>> pls HELP

zebra

HELLO,

recorded a duo, blues folk...wth 1 singer who played a martin. lots of bass came out, and im a little in trouble i think. recorded it with a R92 close on the 12th fred/ bridge. lots of lows and highs i get. can u have a listen to it and hear whats wrong>? im not happy with it.

singer 1 RIKKE (song nothing)

martin guitar >>> R 92
>>> okta mk 012 hyper. litle behind
vocals >>> >R84

singer 2 ELMA

guitar >>> KM184 left from the hole. (bass)
>>> okta mk 012 hyper 12th fred
vocals >>> brauner phantom.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=837989

all feedback is welcome ty and greetz peter

Weird song...like you said, lots of boom there...mud. Sounds like it's played with fingers...that adds to the boom from my experience. The only thing I'd suggest is to move the mic back a bit and up the fretboard a bit. Maybe try a different mic. Maybe be a bit more generous with the amount of low end you roll away.

I think Monkey Allen said it all-all a muddy, boomy sound-it sounds like a concert sized acoustic with that bottom end. Is the mic right on the soundhole? Try giving it some distance next time.

ok, i got the picture here.
i put the R92 on the fred, cause i heard all these boomsish, also close cause its a live singing/guitar session. there lies my fault.

how would u recommend to record in this situation? (other guitar?)

guitar

R92
mk012
km184

vocals

R84
brauner phantom

all advice is more then welcome greeeetz

You can just experiment with mic position, including distance...plus get some sort of eq on there after the recording to round off the low frequencies. Obviously try to get it as close as you can first, so you wont have to eq the hell out of it and lose any good tone that should have been there. I'm just not well versed in any of the gear you specified, but acoustic guitar needs to be recorded in relation to how it's played/ who plays it/ in what room...and all that. For years I just mic'd the soundhole and never used eq...recently I've come to learn the benefits of taking time to get mic position as good as possible, and of using eq to complement the micing....etc

TO make sure we talk about the same. it gonna be a live guitar/vocal session.

i did already good recordings with it. its just that martin guitar thats making me a nervous.

any sugestions welcome.

greetz <peter

You have the mic too close to the guitar. A Martin has lots of boom naturally. They sound awesome live because of it, and are a bitch to record for the same reason.

Check out this site. It has lots of picks and tips on how to mic an acoustic. The "over-the-shoulder" technique is at the bottom, it's how I would recommend you mic a Martin.

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug01/articles/recacgtr0801.asp

TO make sure we talk about the same. it gonna be a live guitar/vocal session.

i did already good recordings with it. its just that martin guitar thats making me a nervous.

any sugestions welcome.

greetz <peter
The over-the-shoulder technique, like I posted above... didn't you click on the link?

The over-the-shoulder technique, like I posted above... didn't you click on the link?

yup i clicked it. gonna try it with the R92, 0 directed to mouth, and R84 for vocals. i might put 1 more mk012 for the 12th fred. ty and greetz Peter

Back