Recommendations for next microphone.

brotman

Hey!

I record demos in my small apartment with garageband and my
presonus Firepod. I want to move up to Logic and step up my game a little bit with more microphones. The instruments I most commonly record are:

male vocals (In the Paul banks/Interpol range)
electric guitar
acoustic guitar
drum set
bass
keys
synth

I currently have a shure sm57 that I use for the guitar amp, and kick drum. I also have a samson condensor c03 that I use for vocals, overhead for drum set (with sm57 on kick), and direct input for everything else. I want to buy an additional microphone, because I'm not always satisfied with the samson. I am trying to choose between the:

Rode NT1
shure sm 7
a pair of samson c02 overhead drum mics.

I would like a mic that could be useful in bringing more options for when I record. I was set on the Rode NT1, until I read that it's not very good for male vocals and is overly bright on cymbals. These are the two things I want to record...

Given my vocal style, probably the shure sm 7 would be the perfect mic, however then I read that the shure 57 has a similar sound to it, and the sm 7 would not be very useful in recording drums, it seems. Finally, the c02 overheads seem like they would really improve my drum sound, but not be useful for much else.

Any advice would be appreciated, or another option I haven't thought of yet.

thanks!

For a versatile mic to add to a small mic cabinet, I like AKG C2000B. $330 new, $150 or so used. Good on overhead, acoustic, many vocals, rocks on guitar cabs. It will do all of what you are trying to do well, and some of it very well.-Richie

thanks!

Thanks for the advice, I had not heard of either of these mics.

I ordered the AKG used based on its steller reviews, it's reputation for having diverse uses, and its reliability. The octava probably has the vocal quality I want, but I am a little afraid of it because of the quality control issues I read about.

I figure if I like the AKG, later on I could order another to use as two overheads on the drum set, and if I don't like it, I could sell it for about the same price I paid for it, since it was $150 on ebay.

thanks again!

Thanks for the advice, I had not heard of either of these mics.

I ordered the AKG used based on its steller reviews, it's reputation for having diverse uses, and its reliability. The octava probably has the vocal quality I want, but I am a little afraid of it because of the quality control issues I read about.

I figure if I like the AKG, later on I could order another to use as two overheads on the drum set, and if I don't like it, I could sell it for about the same price I paid for it, since it was $150 on ebay.

thanks again!

Finally! Someone with some sense. Right Richard?

:cool:

After you've used it for a while. I bet you will want a pair. After you've tried it on the sources you listed, post up your impressions. One tip- the bass cut is pretty radical, I almost never use it. You may also find it has some applications for live instruments. As side address condensers go, it's pretty feedback resistant. As I've said before, it's not my first choice for anything. It's my second choice for everything. It's like the average looking girl in high school that didn't get to be a cheerleader, but she's good in bed, can cook, and never bitches. And 30 years later, she looks better than the day you married her. But- unlike your high school sweetheart, when you get another one, she won't get jealous and sue for divorce.-Richie

I should have married a microphone:laughings::laughings::laughings:

You still can. I'd say you've been dating a lot. I often compare mics to women. SM57- a cheap whore that has no STD's, and a pleasant disposition. She isn't that good in bed. but you never leave totally unsatisfied. The B.L.U.E. Kiwi is my exotic supermodel. The KM184's are the Milton twins. Not that pretty, but they work well together. MK-319- my mail order Russian bride. They all have their own personalities.-Richie

woah.

Wow. That AKG is really really a lot better than the Samson I was messing around with.

Thanks for the advice.

(Unfortunately, I now have an ebay gear addiction.)

Wow. That AKG is really really a lot better than the Samson I was messing around with.

Thanks for the advice.

(Unfortunately, I now have an ebay gear addiction.)

You may find better deals on craigs list:D
Seeing that you have an addiction I can be you enabler :p

Oktava 319!
you will get a load of use out of it as stock, then get it modded for a few quid when you can afford it for a killer mic!!
never liked the NT1 at all, although I hear good things about the mods.
I bought 2 oktava 319s back in 1997 and I still use them on a daily basis in my studio. I bought another a couple of weeks ago so I could send it to michael joly for mods.
Definitely as useful as the sm57s and 58s I bought at the same time, believe it or not!
overheads, vocals, horns, guitars, cabs.
Such a great unhyped sound right outta the box. None of that brittle shizzy chinese top end. and can be modded to make it a serious contender for not much!
There we are then!!
long

My 319s are super! they do have a flavor all their own. Good on amps.
I've been thinking about a mod for them, maybe soon. I've had other Microphones modified and I'm very pleased with those results.

Back