recommendations for live classical guitar?

Thanks, Timothy. I've heard a solo performance using a transducer through a SWR Calif Blonde and it sounded really good. I don't have an acoustic amp, though. (I'm thinking about the AER alpha or Compact 60, they're stunning...)

i'm confused about what a buffer is...but what i'm gathering is that if i want to use this piezo/contact oyster transducer then i need a DI or a piezo pre-amp, or even a bypassed boss stomp. so my signal would be: transducer->preamp/DI/pedal->compressor->computer?

NationalSandwic said:
i'm confused about what a buffer is...but what i'm gathering is that if i want to use this piezo/contact oyster transducer then i need a DI or a piezo pre-amp, or even a bypassed boss stomp. so my signal would be: transducer->preamp/DI/pedal->compressor->computer?

A DI converts an instrument-level signal to mic level, and balances the signal. It would have an input in the range of 470K ohm to 1M ohm. You would need that after the buffer/pre circuit IF you were feeding a preamp without a hi-z input or going into a PA. If you are going into a guitar amp or preamp with hi-z input, you don't need it.

You still need a piezo pre/buffer, which will have an input impedance of 4M ohm or higher. That has to be first in the chain, and close to the piezo element.

I don't know what a bypassed pedal will do for you. In theory, it should do nothing :confused: unless a Boss in bypass really still operates as a hi-z buffer.

I believe Tim's chain in his post is piezo->piezo pre->hi-z input on BlueTube->RNC->PA, computer, whatever.

Yes, except we're talking about live sound, right?... so the last stage would be amplification rather than recording device.

The chain I use... piezo -> bluetube pre HiZ 1/4" input -> RNC compressor -> guitar amp. I use a verb unit between the RNC and gtr amp too, but that's not really relevant to the subject. I generally don't use the piezo for recording as it's kind of generic sounding compared to a mic. (Sorry mshil. :p :p jab, jab) But if I did I wouldn't include the compressor or verb in the chain... I'd process later w/software.

mshilarious, I have no idea why a stomp box on bypass works so well as a buffer with the Dean Markley piezo. But any of my stomp boxes, not just the Boss stuff actually, works... it's an EE mystery. :D NationalSandwic, if I use a stomp box as the buffer, it just replaces the bluetube pre and my chain is piezo -> stomp box -> RNC compressor -> guitar amp.

About buffers.... here's a simple and subjective description: If the piezo is plugged directly into a guitar amp it sounds harsh and thin... a buffer is any device put between the piezo and amp that makes it sound full and rich.

When I use my Calif Blonde, since it has an input made for piezos sometimes I'll just go from the piezo to the amp, using the RNC with the amp's insert jacks. Usually though, I use the first chain described above and use the "non piezo" input on the Calif Blonde. I like to have the Calif Blonde as far away from me as possible and it makes for simpler cabling and easier control I keep all the processing gear close to me and the amp far away.

Tim

right... ok... i'm going to do some experimenting and let you know the results.

tim, i'm using the computer live =D so....no amp there. thanks so much for the input though...v useful... just had to spend a whole wad of cash on my goddamn car (again!), so microphones are becoming a real squeeze...

When I have to play mandolin plugged in, I use an AKG c411 contact condenser microphone. It sticks to the top of the mandolin with that black sticky stuff and it ends in an XLR. You can go straight into the board if the board has phantom power, or you can use a single channel ART pre so you can turn down while tuning plus supply phantom power. It sounds way better than any piezo, and it can get extremely loud without feedback problems.

Back