Recommend a piano module.. anyone?

Fenderville

I have a cheesy Yamaha PSR27*** something... It does most of what my limited ability needs but! I hate the piano sounds. I was thinking maybe there is an affordable piano module out there that I could just midi up to and get a few extra piano sounds...

Could you recommend a few to look at new or used don't matter. Budget is fairly small because the keyboard isn't worth much as it is.. LOL

Thanks everyone!

I have been researching that same question myself.

Disclaimer: I havn't used any of these, so this is simply what i've heard.

The Alesis nanopiano and the kurzweil micropiano both get some very good praise, and some very bad praise. I'm sure they are a step up from what's in your PSR(i own a PSR myself that is older then I am...), but they are aging and probably don't live up to some current modules. They usually turn up very cheap on ebay, and i've been meaning to try one.

I will probably be clutching my Kurzweil 1000 PX Plus Professional Expander in my cold, dead fingers when they bury me. I can’t say enough about it – what a beauty.

They are no longer manufactured, but pop up on eBay and musicgoround.com from time to time.

I haven't used the Micropiano, but if it sounds anything like the K1000 line it's worth a look.

-Tim :)

The MicroPiano is supposed to be identical to the Kurzweil SP series, which I currently use as a controller keyboard. I have a Kurzweil Micro Ensemble (which is the successor to the MicroPiano) and I really love it. I'll just say this--once you get a Micro Ensemble, you won't want to go back to the MicroPiano.

I want to get a Kurzweil PC2X, but if I do, I'm going to need a MicroPiano when I sell my SP88 as that Stereo Hard EP sound is not imitated elsewhere! (It's my signature patch on "Heart of Porcelain")

I recently picked up a Roland JV1010 module for $200 at a pawn shop. The Session Piano patch works for most of my piano needs.

Beck said:
I will probably be clutching my Kurzweil 1000 PX Plus Professional Expander in my cold, dead fingers when they bury me. I can?t say enough about it ? what a beauty.

And you would be right.

Right to hold on to your PX Plus, particularly since you have no less but expander !

Great sounding piano samples and overall...others sounds are no slouch either

I love that old almost industrial design of expander ;)

Beck said:
I haven't used the Micropiano, but if it sounds anything like the K1000 line it's worth a look. -Tim :)
For some reason I still have original micro piano and it is slightly darker then found in 1000 for my taste, but make no mistake, still fantastic, capable of communicating serious emotion :)

It would be nice if they din't cripple MP in a way of responding to more channels, but.... ad acta.

Also, I always thought how silly was Kurzweil's idea of linking both MPs to ) obtain full 64 voices (Link Mode) polyphony, instead of making this as internal card option

There certainly was enough place to maneuver since the board inside is very compact.

Clearly, this decision was $ motivated.

Fenderville said:
Could you recommend a few to look at new or used don't matter. Budget is fairly small because the keyboard isn't worth much as it is.. LOL Thanks everyone!

Micro Piano is your choice considering your budget, also, if you can find Roland U220 I would recommend the same even stronger. Ironically considering its age you could find U220 for far less then Micro Piano and believe me, you wont be disappointed

Anthony said:
And you would be right.

Right to hold on to your PX Plus, particularly since you have no less but expander !

Great sounding piano samples and overall...others sounds are no slouch either

I love that old almost industrial design of expander ;)

And if that weren't enough I also have the K1200 76 keyboard. That's just more sound and more fun than any one person should be allowed to have. :D

-Tim :)

Beck said:
And if that weren't enough I also have the K1200 76 keyboard. That's just more sound and more fun than any one person should be allowed to have. :D -Tim :)

In your time if you can.

I would love to see some photo of your expander for I haven't seen this beauty....much to long time. So please post a pic or two :)

Also how is the K1200's keyboard holding after all this years?

Because time comes even for the best master keyboards for that special kiss of teflon spray !

Back