recommend a nylon/classical guitar??

TragikRemix

I am NOT a Gear Whore. ;)
hey all, im looking for a nice nylon classical guitar.

i have a martin 000x1 acoustic which i love, and some electrics, but i want a nice/decent classical. i'm really not familiar with any good classical guitar manufacturers, it seems the only nylons you ever see advertised are cheap ones for like $50.

im looking to spend like $300-600. something nice,not crazy, not shit.

even brands that make something. i wish martin made classicals, i'd buy one from them..

Paco Marin, made in Spain. $500 shipped with HSC from mf. All solid woods; cedar top may sound more mature immediately than spruce, but is unlikely to open up as much over time. The guitar will probably sound in ten years pretty much as it sounds today. It looks like a decent guitar for the price point and the lack of laminates is a real plus. I'd like one myself...

www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Paco-Marin-Solid-Cedar-TopRosewood-Classical-wcase?sku=512543

TragikRemix said:
im looking to spend like $300-600. something nice,not crazy, not shit.

even brands that make something. i wish martin made classicals, i'd buy one from them..

I play a La Patrie 'Presentation,' less than 500 with hardshell case. Solid cedar top, and the company is owned by Godin, so it's not shit, but not crazily expensive either.

It's a lovely sounding guitar, very full, excellent note definition, and the neck plays nicely. Oh yeah, it has a trussrod too, so it should last forever. Check them out: http://www.elderly.com/new_instruments/items/PRESENT.htm

I really liked the Taylor I played at the shop, but it was about $1300. I think for less, you can find one that sounds just as good or better. It really depends on the guitar.

I played a couple of cheap Ibanez's and they were decent.

But the Alvarez MC90 really stood out to me. I'd give it a try and see if you like it.

aha, so there realy isnt a big company that makes nice classicals.

those two both look nice. i like the la patrie one a bit.

anone else?

thanks for all the suggestions. i wonder if my local craphole GC would have one, but i doubt it..

the la patrie looks like the one i think.

TragikRemix said:
thanks for all the suggestions. i wonder if my local craphole GC would have one, but i doubt it..

These are the stockists in New York. Not sure which of them is near Long Island, but youll know that:

Brooklyn : Amp and Guitar Wellness Center, 1700 Tenth Avenue, 11215
Brooklyn : Musician's General Store, 213 Court Street, 11201
Cheektowaga : U-Crest Music Center, 1268 George Urban Blvd., 14225
Geneseo : Buzzo Music, 106 Main Street, 14454
Jamestown : Germaine & Papalardo Music Shoppe, 52 Charles Street, 14701
Melville : New York Music, 455 Route 110, 11747
Middletown : Alto Music, 680 Route 211 East, 10940
Monsey : Alto Music Inc., 99 Route 59, 10952
New York : East Village Music, 85 East 4th Street, 10003
New York : Matt Umanov Guitars, 273 Bleecker Street, 10014
New York : Rudy's Music Stop Inc., 169 W. 48th Street, 10036
Saratoga Springs : Saratoga Guitar, 438 Broadway, 12866
Syracuse : Guitar Outlet, 9618 Carousel Center Syracuse, NY 13290
Troy : Cathedral Music, 1809 5th Ave. , 12180
Wappinger Falls : Alto Music, Bank Plaza 1060 Rt # 9, 12590

Ive had a Takamine nylon string for about 10 years now. Its a very nice looking guitar, and has a nice sound as well that has mellowed well over the years. The low end is a little boomy, and that especially comes out when recording it. But it plays very nice, has great action and playability, it looks nice, and has active electronics if you ever want to plug it in (I could count on 1 hand the number of times I've actually amplified it though).

Here's a link to MF.com:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Takamine-EC132C-Classical-Guitar?sku=516444

The price there is strangely inflated...I've seen these at music stores for more like $600. I think that stores were flooded with these for a while and had to cut prices to move them, so maybe look around and you could find a deal.

Maybe there's a non-electric version available that would cut down on the price as well.

I think that nylon stringed guitars are the one thing that Takamine does very well. Their steel stringed guitars have never really impressed me. But you couldn't deny that this guitar is a player when you pick it up.

Another +1 on the La Patrie. They are very good for the money. Also, a lot of dealers will get blems, which they will discount heavily. Ask around.

Models I know of:
Etude: laminate Mahogany B&S, solid Cedar top, semi-gloss
Concert: laminate Mahogany B&S, solid Cedar top, high gloss
Presentation: laminate Rosewood B&S, solid Cedar top, semi-gloss

tdukex said:

Yeah, I read those specs too.... but it seems that some of them have solid backs. :confused: Take a look inside the soundhole, the grain matches up with the back on some guitars, but is clearly a laminate on others. Plus, it sounds like an all solid guitar. It really projects.

tdukex said:
Models I know of:
Etude: laminate Mahogany B&S, solid Cedar top, semi-gloss
Concert: laminate Mahogany B&S, solid Cedar top, high gloss

There's a 'Motif' as well; laminate mahogany B&S, solid Cedar top, semi-gloss. Full scale length, compact body. Seems to be great value.

32-20-Blues said:
Yeah, I read those specs too.... but it seems that some of them have solid backs. :confused: Take a look inside the soundhole, the grain matches up with the back on some guitars, but is clearly a laminate on others. Plus, it sounds like an all solid guitar. It really projects.

Yeah, you may be right. Now that you mention it, I might have seen one of those (solid back) in a local guit shop in Carlsbad a couple of years back. The manager also had explained the models to me, and I think I remember him mentioning the same thing. He had all of the models there (including some blems), and he also showed me how to spot a blem (red dot somewhere?..."B" in the serial number ?...can't remember exactly, but they are marked).

Anyway, good guits. I own one of their elect LG P90s and love it.

Got my GF a Takimine for x-mas. Plays well, sounds great (very resonant), active Elec. ( She stores it at my house) :D :D

Back