Rebel Rebel cover

skuthepoo

hey guys, long time no post, would be interested to hear your opinions on this little cover ive been working on.

things to note:
theres no bass yet
theres no vocals yet
there are slight timing inconsistencies towards the end which will be sorted with some editing (we tracked while playing to the actual bowie version, and i think this hasnt worked in our favour! whoops)
some of the channels are peaking yes, ive mixed this in the box so far (but i have an old analogue desk and rack gear that i prefer to mix on, i think this is the best i could do in the box, much more keen on analogue mixing. i tend to push everything too far in the box

thanks guuuuuys

Attachments

• vox).mp3
    5.3 MB · Views: 13
Knowing the real song so well, your tone sounds ridiculous. Too much gain, too much reverb, it's just too much. It would be fine in a Van Halen song. Not so much in a Bowie song. Are you using an octave pedal, or is that an actual different take on the right channel? Anyway, get more stuff in there. It's a pretty boring listen without it. The drums sound okay I guess. Kind of raw. The playing isn't great, but it is what it is.

I like the beginning guitar sound - it is a little VH'ish - the vocals will make or break this song.

Someone needs to call Mulder and Scully - there are a lot of aliens in this thread

I knew you wouldnt like it greg, but whatever. Its not meant to be a perfect replica of the bowie track in terms of production, i wanted to try something different. Im a big bowie fan and just wanted to make a cover :). I like it raw and unpolished. Your mixes are really good, but too clear and shiny and perfect for me. I like it dirty and raw. Thanks for the listen though!

All recorded in my bedroom so issues there as it is! Thanks to positive comments so far :)

Lol. This aint a contest holmes. If you don't want honest feedback, or if you only want atta-boys, just say so.

Atta boy, you nailed this version! Best I've ever heard! David Bowie, and anyone else that's covered this song, or is thinking about covering it, should quit playing music forever!

Back