Reaper

I love reaper too ,its so much more quicker and easier to get where you want to be.

I'm buying mine pretty soon.

Well, I do use Sony Vegas 6 for my video editing work.

I'll be able to figure the program out quick enough, but I already ran into that problem I've read other people have where I hit play and it doesn't move at all, but says it's playing. Just my luck I guess.

If I had to do it all over again I'd probably choose Reaper. But after using Sonar for so long it's hard to make a change.

when I tried to convince someone to use it, he said:

"the interface was pretty primitive. I also need something that supports ReWire plug-ins"

The only interface that from the start took many of the real world routing concepts demanded by real engineers is primitive?

Or is this one of those engineers of such doggy-doo caliber that his customers actually judge him by what pattern of colors they see on his computer screen?

BTW REAPER not only supports Rewire, but also includes ReaRoute, so that Rewire-like functionality can be given to ANY ASIO app, not just ones Propellerheads have deigned worthy

I tried it, but it doesn't like my MOTU very much. Just records overmodulated buzzing... The interface is very sharp and intuitive. But, I'm used to Audition, so I may just have not figured out the input levels. I think it's probably a fantastic product with the right input scheme.

Llarion said:
I tried it, but it doesn't like my MOTU very much. Just records overmodulated buzzing... The interface is very sharp and intuitive. But, I'm used to Audition, so I may just have not figured out the input levels. I think it's probably a fantastic product with the right input scheme.

The developer is a MOTU nut...which model do you have? It should be working fine. Are you using the ASIO drivers for it in REAPER?

Is there any way to get different colour schemes in Vegas like Reaper? Probably not. I know you can use software to change the style of your computer and that applies to Vegas as well, but I don't like going that route.

pipelineaudio said:
The developer is a MOTU nut...which model do you have? It should be working fine. Are you using the ASIO drivers for it in REAPER?
I just bought an 8pre, XP environment. I got it seeing all 8 input no problem, but I tried recording drums at very low levels (peaks were -24dB), and the playback was phase crazy and distorted to speaker-damaging levels of clip. I flipped to Audition, no changes to the mechanicals, and got a flawless take.

I was bummed because I REALLY want to like this program, and I just couldn't figure out what the deal was. It was kinda choking on the playback too, and I had a PD/2.8 and 4GB RAM; so it's not a horsepower issue.

Yes, I was using ASIO driver...

Llarion said:
I just bought an 8pre, XP environment. I got it seeing all 8 input no problem, but I tried recording drums at very low levels (peaks were -24dB), and the playback was phase crazy and distorted to speaker-damaging levels of clip. I flipped to Audition, no changes to the mechanicals, and got a flawless take.
Yes, I was using ASIO driver...

This is insane. -24dB is not "very low" at all and shouldnt be making any trouble of the sort. If both apps are using the same drivers there should be no issue whatsoever, in fact most cool edit users report much higher efficiency CPUwise in REAPER

If you get a chance, click my sig for the reaper chat and see if someone can get you sorted. This certainly shouldnt be happening

RideTheCrash said:
Is there any way to get different colour schemes in Vegas like Reaper? Probably not. I know you can use software to change the style of your computer and that applies to Vegas as well, but I don't like going that route.

See this forum for LOTS of choices http://www.cockos.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=26

In reaper, click options\color themes and give them a try, but you can also make your own (including the icons) or download more

Heres a few examples

http://stashbox.org/15309/yellowt.png

http://www.cockos.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=1253&d=1175038966

I finally got around to downloading Reaper and I'm effin devastated!

I bought Sonar version 4 back when and then upgraded to 5 hence I've put out a chunk of money. Sonar does have some nice looping capabilities and some decent plugs but Reaper at what, $40?! This is nothing short of amazing.

Sonar has more capabilities than I will ever use and the GUI is kind of busy although you can tweak it. The Reaper GUI is nice and clean, just how I like it. I'm checking it out on my work Laptop at the moment but will install it on my DAW later and run it alongside Sonar and see what I like and don't like.

How long has this program been out? Hell I probably would have bought this over Sonar then spend some $$ on some decent plugs.

I am having a hard time not liking Sonar6pe... except for the editing features.

I CERTAINLY understand that people want to spend the minimum amount needed...and no need throwing money away either. But $40 or $400 for a software program that you like seems not to be a major difference...especially when you consider in auxillery equipment needed besides just the software. Therefore, it is unfortunate that people are choosing REAPER just because of the price. I am not debating whether it is the best program or not for someone, but in the total cost of having decent setup with instruments, mics, cableing, speakers, etc, etc, etc...the difference of $360 doesnt' even factor in.

IF>>> IF all you have is REAPER, one mic, a $150 set of speakers and an instrument, and a little mini mixer for pres, then I COMPLETELY understand. ONCE>>>ONCE you step up to $2000 just for monitors, then saving a couple of coins on the software program is a moot point.

THEREFORE, if someone says the like REAPER because it performs for them best, I can respect that opinion.
When someone says..."$40...how can you go wrong?"... I ignore that statement.

mixmkr said:
THEREFORE, if someone says the like REAPER because it performs for them best, I can respect that opinion.
When someone says..."$40...how can you go wrong?"... I ignore that statement.

Its a tricky thing...for a lot of the hobby customers, the price does seem to be a BIG factor

But for the commercial users, the 200 is ridiculous. Most of us on that level will pay ANY money for an app, and no matter how much we threw in in the past, just couldnt get an app that did the things we want.

Its a weird spread..for the 40 dollar guys they think, "ugh I dont want to have to pay 200 dollars when I start really being a business"

but for a lot of the commercial guys its like "this is too cheap, it must suck"

Marketing angst....the developer wants to make it easy on everyone, but like they say "no good deed goes unpunished"

I'm sorry but there IS a big difference b/t $40 and $400. ESPECIALLY when it comes to software. Spending big $$ on software is DUMB. It will be obsolete in a year or two or three...

thats besides the point anyway. Reaper is awesome PERIOD. not just, "for the money".

Hi_Flyer said:
I'm sorry but there IS a big difference b/t $40 and $400. ESPECIALLY when it comes to software. Spending big $$ on software is DUMB. It will be obsolete in a year or two or three...

thats besides the point anyway. Reaper is awesome PERIOD. not just, "for the money".

No need to apologize :) ... but I can understand that there IS a difference between $40 and $400. I'm not "made of gold" either. However, my comment was based on the total cost of a recording setup, (say a decent one at that too), and in THAT context, $360 isn't a "deal breaker" or not.

I agree, Reaper appears to be the next step beyond awesome. These days are great for us recordists.

oh...and as far as "dumb" dropping "big $$" on software for fear of its' obsolesence.... that isn't a factor really. I paid $400 for CD architect when it first came out, and it is now selling for way less than that. However, I burned a couple of thousand CD's with it, and it was some of the best money spent. I also spent $3500 on my first "recording" computer, which I probably would not do again either.... Oh... I spent A LOT of $$ on analog equipment too... oh yeah... quite a bit on equipment that has long since been outdated... old ARP synths... MOOG, etc... Oh... I have a education from Berklee in which basically ALL the (audio)technical stuff I learned...is pretty much outdated.... since I went there in the 70's.

MY point, although stuff gets revamped, improved, brought "up to date"... etc. I have NEVER felt I wasted a single penny. Owning that old ARP synth and that old Teac 3340 tape deck gave me a solid educational foundation that as the Mastercard commercial says..."priceless". Had I NOT purchased those items (and the same with some of the current software), I can only think how much less I would know today. I won't even tell you how much I spent on gear during the 70's and 80's (think HUGE analog console) to only have some meager Pentium product WHOOP the pants off of it....... which I believe it is now "outdated" too. ;)

Back