Reaper Question!

So, 2x1024 is the best im going to get? (cause I tried it on 1 and it shut off completely)

BTW! I Have my audio system set to Direct Sound....
AUido system.png

Do I need an ASIO driver instead?

Just so you know.... 1. there's a Reaper forum below if you have any specific Reaper issues (for the future) 2. this isn't a Reaper problem as such but a general latency issue that's quite common

It's most likely not even a latency problem, and is more likely to be associated with the interface. Fat-fleet suggests adjusting the mix ocntrol on the interface, and that, I think, is the first place to start.

Well, of course. Gecko is right. I turned the Mix knob to Preamp (instead of computer), and I actually can hear my mic now (no delay) through my headset (that is connected to Interface). But I can only really hear clearly when the front gain knob is set to AT LEAST 95%, and the back Level knob is set to 100%. which is of course a problem... its clips at anything over a whisper. even with the level turned down on the track window in reaper

Fat_fleet. you were right, im sorry I didn't listen to your wisdom.

(When the microphones gain is set to 100% on the interface I have AMAZING playback quality! (even with Reaper turned off) Its perfect but... I can't record with the gain set to 100% on the interface... or can I?)

Last edited:
Well, of course. Gecko is right. I turned the Mix knob to Preamp (instead of computer), and I actually can hear my mic now (no delay) through my headset (that is connected to Interface). But I can only really hear clearly when the front gain knob is set to AT LEAST 95%, and the back Level knob is set to 100%. which is of course a problem... its clips at anything over a whisper. even with the level turned down on the track window in reaper

Great, now just balance your signals. Turn the pre-amp (mic) gain down to a reasonable level where it's not clipping, lower the track volume on your acoustic guitar to where the signals are balanced, then adjust your headphone volume to where you're comfortable.

It's most likely not even a latency problem, and is more likely to be associated with the interface. Fat-fleet suggests adjusting the mix ocntrol on the interface, and that, I think, is the first place to start.

LOL... that'll teach me as a Reaper noob to try to teach other Reaper noobs... lesson learnt. Sorry for the bum steer Helpme... :D

But with the Monitor Headphones "Mix" knob set to Preamp I can now hear through the mic while speaking, perfectly, as long the interface's mic gain knob is set to at least 98%. If I turn it down on the interface, I can't hear myself anymore. ( with the headphones level knob at 100)

There must be a way I can set the phones MIX knob to Computer and have it playback without any delay. So I hear it after it goes through Reaper, not just straight from the interface and the mic. ??? Maybe my output?

This is it now...
fort.png

see how it says output device speakers. There are two quarter inch output jacks for "monitor Output" (actual speakers?) but i dont understand why i cant just use headphones.

I can turn the interface's Mic gain down to about 20%. When i record, i have no sound coming through headphones at all. But after I'm done recording and I hit play. IT SOUNDS MARVELOUS! (with phones knob set to Computer the whole time)

I think it may actually be a latency problem. Because if i use the Record monitoring button in Reaper, and get the latency down its... really what im looking for. Its with my buffer settings to 2x1024, I still have a little delay. If i can get the latency down enough thats theres no delay then... problem solved. Its just I don't know how to lower my latency other than changing the buffer from 8x1024 to 2x1024... ???

Try changing the 1024 to half that - 512, then half that again, 256 and see if it makes a difference. Consider it an experiment. You won't break anything. It'll either work or it won't work and we'll both learn something... :)

I'm not sure about the driver issue - I thought the best was to use an ASIO driver over Direct Sound, which is just a standard Windows thing I think, but again, I'm guessing, and if you didn't get any software with your interface, you probably don't have one...

There's a free driver called ASIO4ALL that might be worth trying, but I'm really not the expert in this area...

Some of these other dudes can probably advise better on that. Patience! They'll be along soon, I'm sure....

Here's a thread that has some level of explanation of this stuff

Well I downloaded ASIO4all and... ... ... SUCCESS!!!

wait a second... There is the slightest little delay, i only even notice it when i go to sing... i'm gonna mess with some settings though.

Last edited:
Reaper delay

It's called latency.

You need to tweak your OS and get rid of services that you dont use Win7 has a ton of them.

If you are using a USB mic, that will add to it as well but you may not have the option depending on your audio interface.

Download DPC Latency checker... most of my computer are running under 100 microseconds and it works absolutely perfect.

Hope you get it resolved.

Check the Reaper.fm site for the .pdf manuel: using the FIND function (Ctrl+F) you can get any question answered. Rephrase the question if the answer doesn't help, and be precise. Good luck.

I'm trying to record my vocals over an acoustic guitar track, while it's playing. Now I normally can't hear myself through my headphones while i'm speaking. But when I hit the "Record Monitoring" button located on the individual track window, I suddenly can. ONE PROBLEM! there is about a one second delay, which obviously, is not going to work! ]

The user guide is priceless: REAPER | User Guide

Back