Reaper Question!

Helpmeimanoob

I'm trying to record my vocals over an acoustic guitar track, while it's playing. Now I normally can't hear myself through my headphones while i'm speaking. But when I hit the "Record Monitoring" button located on the individual track window, I suddenly can. ONE PROBLEM! there is about a one second delay, which obviously, is not going to work!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Or don't use record monitoring and just lower your playback volume/raise the mics volume in your software mixer/both. You shouldn't have to use record monitoring just to hear yourself (I don't think).

Just so you know.... 1. there's a Reaper forum below if you have any specific Reaper issues (for the future) 2. this isn't a Reaper problem as such but a general latency issue that's quite common

What interface, and what driver you're using may be useful in working out the solution. I don't have Reaper in front of me but the area you set the buffers is the same area where you actually specify what sound device Reaper is using.

You might want to divulge your computer specs as well - OS/processor/RAM.

Good luck.

Oh sheesh, that doesn't come with software does it. If you mute your acoustic guitar track can you hear your vocals? In other words is it too quiet or just not there?

Without turning on the Record monitoring there's nothing at all coming through my phones. even when i mute the guitar.
And no, the USB dual pre doesnt come with Software.

But heres what im using...

Recording Gear Info....png

2TB Harddrive

yea, when set all the way on Computer, and record monitoring is on I get that 1 second delay. But with it on Preamp I get nothing at all.

Try halving it for a start... see if that works. Experiment. I think mine's set at 256 - there's a balancing act between what your computer can handle and that buffer...

Am I allowed to change the second number? I have it at 2x1024 right now. (46ms) Its a lot closer but still some delay. (thanks for helping me guys, i know im a huge n00b but...thnx)

Back