Really Dumb Soundcard Question

kyoun1e

I just realized that my PC never came with a soundcard. That could be screwing up some things with my Guitar Tracks Pro recording software. However, I do have an M-Audio pre-amp. My amp has a chord from the out hole into my preamp and then the preamp is connected to my PC via USB port.

Question: With this setup, do I need a soundcard since I have a preamp? Does the preamp act as a soundcard? (I think that's what the guy told me when I bought the M-Audio).

Before I go out and buy an external Soundblaster Audigy 2NX soundcard I should probably make sure I need it.

And one other thing...I'll probably be buying Fruity Loops or Acid Pro in the near future.

Thanks. KY

What is your Maudio preamp? If it has audio outs then it is also a sound card. Either way I wouldn't buy a Creative card for recording.

that is wierd that the preamp has a USB hook up on it if it wasn't a sound card as wel.. what would be the purpose of it? to supply phamtom power? seems like that would be a waste of a USB port.

The M-Audio preamp does have audio outs. I don't use them though. I plug the preamp via USB into my laptop.

I'm not sure what I would do with those outs? My guitar amp out goes into the preamp in. Then the preamp is connected via USB to the laptop.

Would those outs be used for stereo speakers?

I'm thoroughly confused.

KY

You should post this in the Newbie section.

Basically you do need a sound card. Your computer probably has sound built into the motherboard or you would not be able to hear anything. The audio buddy is a pre amp it still needs a sound card.

Ok, some new information. I just called Dell. First time I called they said I had no soundcard. Now I call and they say I have an integrated sound card into the motherboard. Called something like AC97 Sigma Tell blah blah blah.

So, I have an integrated sound card.

And I have an M-Audio preamp.

I hope I don't need anything else here. This hobby is getting expensive.

Somebody set me straight.

Thanks. KY

What Preamp do you have? If it has a USB connection to your PC, the unit contains BOTH a preamp and a AD converter (=soundcard). Audio is typically analog, and to get it into your PC you need to convert it digitially somehow. Generally PCs have a soundcard (which you learned is built into your mobo). You would take the analog outs of your pre and put them into your analog line input on your pre (using appropriate adapters/cables). YOur soundcard then converts the analog signal into digital. If you have a pre w/ a USB connection, the conversion to digital takes place in the preamp unit. The USB just sends the digital signal into your computer as if it was just any data. I don't believe you have to buy anything else.

For future reference, it helps us if you tell us EXACTLY what unit you are talking about, since that can help us help you better. Good luck!

Back