Read so much I think I confused myself!?!?

livilaNic

I have a Yamaha 10/2 mixer. Now I've read how to hook it up. But I got 2 ways of doing this?

Mic>Mixer>ST OUT>Soundcard? And then monitor out the card itself? or...

Mic>Mixer/Soundcard output>Mixer 2TR Input>Mixer Output Insert I/O #1 (to the first click)>Souncard Input>C-R to monitors?

Grr my head hurts so much.

All I need to do is monitor the DAW mix, and track through phones.
I've search the site and I got confused. Can some please give me a diagram or some stick figure drawings to show wtf to do!!!???

I can't crasp this damn thing. What I don't get is the REC-OUT? Its unbalanced yet if I have a y/1/8 to 2 rca would it become balanced? OMG I think I'm just overthinkin this.

I have a crap card (Turtle Beach/Santa Cruz for now) with 1/8 LINE IN (balanced) and a MIC IN (unbalanced)

I'm using my Home stereo to monitor. RCA IN's.

I'm sry. I know this shit has been asked over, and over again but I just can't seem to crasp this concept.

Thx in advance,
livilaNic

What's the actual mixer model no.? If I have it I may be able to give you more specific advice.

But essentially, it appears you're limited to the 1/8-in input (stereo I guess) on your soundard. So at minimum, you need a cable that can connect from the RCA stereo outputs on your mixer into the 1/8-in soundcard input.

What are the outputs on your soundcard? You somehow want to get these back into your mixer, most likely into a pair of the line inputs.

The overall chain would then be instruments-microphones-mixer microphone inputs-mixer stereo output to soundcard; stereo soundcard output to mixer line inputs. You can adjust faders on your microphone and soundcard inputs to get a balanced level for monitoring via the headphone jack on your mixer.

I run a variation of this in my studio with a Sprit M12 mixer and Digi002R soundcard/interface. If setup right, you should be able to monitor your mix from your computer along with whatever signals you are tracking with your microphone inputs via the headphone output on your mixer. Depending on latency issues, you may need to mute the tracks in your computer that you are recording in order to avoid feedback and essentially just listen to the signals going through the mixer.

mic > mixer > mixer out to soundcard line in....if you want to track with headphones then just plug them into the mixers headphone jack.

now...to have recorded tracks play in your headphones while you record new tracks...get a stereo splitter to connect to your soundcard out. ONE side will go to your monitors and the other to a free channel of your mixer so that you can hear them in the phones. since you are using your home stereo to monitor, just turn down the volume on it while you record your new tracks so there is no bleeding from the speakers to your newly recorded track.

I've got one of those. Mic>mixer, REC OUT -> Soundcard In using an stereo RCA-mini stereo cable, Soundcard out -> 2TR IN, C-R OUT -> Stereo In using 1/4" mono RCA adapters.

apl said:
I've got one of those. Mic>mixer, REC OUT -> Soundcard In using an stereo RCA-mini stereo cable, Soundcard out -> 2TR IN, C-R OUT -> Stereo In using 1/4" mono RCA adapters.

So the Soundcard In using a stereo RCA-mini stereo cable is line level then?
I'm recording in mono. So would it be pointless to use a stereo cable or should I just use the DAW for panning?

Of course I would use the C-R OUT L/R because the mix will be in stereo? .

I mean I've spliced cables before to make them mono. But that made more sense then Hot+ cold- Ground to L/R/G. UGH! So is a headphone jack the same as a TRS H/C/G?

Thx,
livilaNic

AlexW said:
What's the actual mixer model no.? If I have it I may be able to give you more specific advice.

Yamaha MG10/2 is the model.

thajeremy said:
mic > mixer > mixer out to soundcard line in....if you want to track with headphones then just plug them into the mixers headphone jack.

now...to have recorded tracks play in your headphones while you record new tracks...get a stereo splitter to connect to your soundcard out. ONE side will go to your monitors and the other to a free channel of your mixer so that you can hear them in the phones. since you are using your home stereo to monitor, just turn down the volume on it while you record your new tracks so there is no bleeding from the speakers to your newly recorded track.

Thx for your time.:D

apl said:

It worked awsome untill I went to track. The damn C-R fader and the Phones Fader are the same. So I have to turn down my stereo volume as thajeremy
said.

So can I just run the ST OUTs instead to control each on different Faders?
In the manual is says ST OUT to connect to powered amp for main speaks, and the C-R OUT to connect to monitor system. Are they the same thing or does it route different in the mixer?

Thx,
livilaNic

livilaNic said:
It worked awsome untill I went to track. The damn C-R fader and the Phones Fader are the same. So I have to turn down my stereo volume as thajeremy
said.

So can I just run the ST OUTs instead to control each on different Faders?
In the manual is says ST OUT to connect to powered amp for main speaks, and the C-R OUT to connect to monitor system. Are they the same thing or does it route different in the mixer?

Thx,
livilaNic

OK. I've got the manual on my lap, and use the ST OUT (not CR OUT) to go to your stereo.

Sorry.

Koo thx alot Apl I had it all fucked up earlier and I had to turn everything up to hear semi good sounds. Now that I got it this way is so crip. I can hear my TV in the other room coming through the mic/monitors. Its so damn sweet.

L8er,
livilaNic

Thank you all for your time a patience. :D

Crap I think I need a head phone amp now boo. I turn up the CR-Phones fader and get nothing. Turn up the 2tr fader all the way and bearly get sound.
Hmm?

L8er,
livilaNic

Well I hooked it up Mic>Mixer>Mixer REC OUT/RCA to 1/8 Stereo>Soundcard In>Soundcard OUT 1/8 to RCA Stereo>MIxer CH 7/8 In>ST OUT Mono TR to RCA L/R>Stereo Receiver. I'm not sure if it was smart to run it through the CH 7/8. Now I will have EQ on the mix. I like having complete control on the mixer though. Instead of having togo to my receiver all the time. Or the soundcard control panel. I can pan with it on the CH 7/8 as well.

Maybe its good? Maybe not???

L8er,
livilaNic

livilaNic said:
Crap I think I need a head phone amp now boo. I turn up the CR-Phones fader and get nothing. Turn up the 2tr fader all the way and bearly get sound.
Hmm?

L8er,
livilaNic

Now you've got a lot of places where you can turn things up and down including the PC! It was working in the post above; what did you change?

I didn't change anything. I was speaking of just the monitors. As for the Phones I think I'll just track form the card. I tried everything I could think of to get the phones working. I think I've read (would make sense) you need a headphone amp.

Any suggestions? Not in what HAmp. As in set-up/wiring etc.

L8er,
livilaNic

No problem, man, we’ll get this figured out!

DO NOT PANIC! You shouldn’t need a separate headphone amp.

Phones/CR volume are together as you saw. ST volume affects CR/Phones. If you look at the block diagram on p. 26 in one corner there is a dotted line box that has ST OUT and REC OUT in it, and that level is controlled by the ST LEVEL knob. Then the signal goes to the C/R-PHONES block. So if you want to hear phones you have to have ST up, too.

apl said:
No problem, man, we’ll get this figured out!

DO NOT PANIC! You shouldn’t need a separate headphone amp.

Phones/CR volume are together as you saw. ST volume affects CR/Phones. If you look at the block diagram on p. 26 in one corner there is a dotted line box that has ST OUT and REC OUT in it, and that level is controlled by the ST LEVEL knob. Then the signal goes to the C/R-PHONES block. So if you want to hear phones you have to have ST up, too.

You could have made that funny. DON'T PANIC, MANIC.lol

Yeah but I was trying to get HP volume without turning up the monitors.

BTW I see you!

L8er,
livilaNic

Well what I'm going to try is hooking up the second sound source. Soundcard OUT>Mixer 2TR In. *Crosses fingers!* I'll let ya know what happens.

L8er,
livilaNic

Well same ol' thing happens. Whats weird is I can turn the heads off and keep the Monitors going. Well I'll keep fuckin with shit. I don't think I have many opitions. Except just use the Soundcard to track.

Thx for everything,
livilaNic

What do you mean, you can see me? :eek:

livilaNic said:
Well same ol' thing happens. Whats weird is I can turn the heads off and keep the Monitors going.

You have 4 outputs. ST OUT and REC OUT are the same signal controlled by the ST Level knob. ST OUT is +4dBu (Pro) and REC OUT is -10dBV (Consumer).

After the signal goes through the ST OUT knob and those outs, it's routed to the C-R/PHONES section and that volume is controlled by the C-R/PHONES knob. But it will only have a signal there if the ST OUT is up.

The REC OUT should go to your soundcard in. The soundcard out should go to the 2TR IN.

There is no configuration here that will allow you to independently control three outputs, ie, the soundcard, the headphones and the monitors. Pick two. I would arrange the equipment so that it's easy to reach the stereo's volume knob.

Hope this helps.

apl said:
What do you mean, you can see me? :eek:

You have 4 outputs. ST OUT and REC OUT are the same signal controlled by the ST Level knob. ST OUT is +4dBu (Pro) and REC OUT is -10dBV (Consumer).

After the signal goes through the ST OUT knob and those outs, it's routed to the C-R/PHONES section and that volume is controlled by the C-R/PHONES knob. But it will only have a signal there if the ST OUT is up.

The REC OUT should go to your soundcard in. The soundcard out should go to the 2TR IN.

There is no configuration here that will allow you to independently control three outputs, ie, the soundcard, the headphones and the monitors. Pick two. I would arrange the equipment so that it's easy to reach the stereo's volume knob.

Hope this helps.

Not see as in really see you. But you were in the room with me.

Yeah I just turn down the monty's from the mixer and headphone out of the soundcard for trackin. It works awsome though apl thx alot again for all your time and patience. :D

Yeah I read something about goin out/in at the channels insert. Any clue wtf that is? Something about plugging either the insert first click or the souncards first click?

Take Care,
livilaNic

Back