re: Lounge Lizard EP-4 and PreSonus software

Ricky D

I'm guessing my PreSonus recording software is similar to other brands in terms of using plug-ins. But "Lounge Lizard EP-4" is a stand-alone program. I downloaded a free trial version of EP-4 (fully functional) and here's the problem I encountered:

As I would do with any virtual instrument, I opened an instrument track with PreSonus. I "armed" it for recording. The EP-4 signal appeared in the track and I could hear it in my headphones. I hit record and tracked a sample of it. Everything looked normal. But upon playback, there was no sound. ?????

Anyone else here tried using EP-4 with their DAW?

Are you using Studio One? If so, check page 78 of the manual. It shows how to print effects while recording. Most times, effects are post recording, so you are recording the dry signal, then modifying it with the effect.

I must apologize, as your reply flew right over my head. I hope this doesn't sound stupid - EP-4 isn't an effect. It's a stand-alone program. It doesn't download into PreSonus like a plug-in.

According to their website, it's not just a stand alone.

Native 64-bit AU, VST, and AAX plug-ins​

Lounge Lizard EP-4 now runs in native 64-bit on macOS and Windows making it compatible with the latest sequencers.

Can you run the program without a DAW? Just launch the program by itself and play music? If not, then it is probably acting as a plug-in, which is essentially an effect.

Again, I beg your patience and forgiveness. No, it's not acting as a plug-in. It's working as a stand-alone program. I'm not interested in it as a live performance tool; I wanted it as a virtual recording instrument. It does not install itself into PreSonus, as an effect. Oh, and I don't use any sequencers. Everything I record is played live, in "real time." I confess that the demo video associated with EP-4 shows it working as a live (through an amp) device.

I'm awaiting responses from both Sweetwater customer service (which has been excellent in the past) and from AAS, the creators of EP-4. I've also contacted a friend who is an experienced studio engineer (runs his own studio) who happens to also use PreSonus software. Between these three sources, I expect to resolve this shortly. As you know, you can't return software, so I'm not going to buy it if I can't learn how to use it; if indeed it is compatible with my software.

What the resistance to using the VST version in Studio? That would seem to be the logical path if you were recording the audio.

I'm sure the folks at Sweetwater will be able to give you an answer. Those folks have been great to work with.

Sorry, I didn't understand your last post. "Resistance?" And yes, I am hoping Sweetwater comes through with the answer. I do the bulk of my business with them.

I just meant that EP4 is available as a VST, so why use the stand alone version when a proper plugin is available. For me, that would be the most logical format to use.

Let us know what you find out.

OK. The trial version IS stand alone - not VST. I'll gladly install VST. I was just flummoxed as to why I couldn't record any signal from the trial version. It seemed weird, because everything else seemed to be behaving normally. The "signal" appeared in the track when recording, but there was nothing there for playback. Thank you for your input. I appreciate it.

Back