Raunch1 - I put this instrumental together in the last few days

Raymond , this "for sure" has something about it , and that something is Nice ! I do think the drums and bass need remixing. They both feel like they're being subdued by FX and improper EQ , pushing them too far back in the mix. They could have a lot more punch. It's a Really nice song. Enjoyed it .. mark

Nice chorus/break, very melodic 70s. Would sound cool with a vocal line on there to bring it all to life. Try writing another small section to keep it interesting and flowing.

guitar reminds me of "owner of a lonely heart" - never liked that tone with all the white noise on it.
clean guitar sounds lovely.
I'd bring the drum and bass up up a lot.

Raymond , this "for sure" has something about it , and that something is Nice ! I do think the drums and bass need remixing. They both feel like they're being subdued by FX and improper EQ , pushing them too far back in the mix. They could have a lot more punch. It's a Really nice song. Enjoyed it .. mark
Thanks Mark. I agree with all of your comments.
The bass is there, but not characterful. The pattern of bass notes is simple, and the bass voice needs to stand out more.
I am not happy with the drums. I need to experiment more. The Samson drum mics go through a Behringer mixer, with a bit of eq, then a Behringer compressor, then a Behringer V-verb reverb unit. So there is plenty for me to look at. The toms didn't sound right, so I layed off them.

Nice chorus/break, very melodic 70s. Would sound cool with a vocal line on there to bring it all to life. Try writing another small section to keep it interesting and flowing.
Thanks linz.
It all started with the raunchy guitar, and I think I'm happy with that.
I was trying to go for a heavy metal feel, and considered vocals, but couldn't make up my mind what the words would be.
The chorus part is much softer, and provides a contrast, although the raunchy guitar still plays chords in the background.
The synth parts are simple, and not overpowering, but give it interest. (less is more)
After ABAB, I didn't know where it goes next, so did the simple fade out with contrasting clean guitar/drums.
I'll bear your sugestions in mind.

guitar reminds me of "owner of a lonely heart" - never liked that tone with all the white noise on it.
clean guitar sounds lovely.
I'd bring the drum and bass up up a lot.
Thanks Manslick. I value your comments.
Never heard "owner of a lonely heart", so I will look that one up.
The guitar amp models are from a humble Behringer V-Amp Pro.
I'll try messing around with the mix levels, as you suggest, to see what could be.

Overall, re-recording the whole thing, after focusing on the quality of the voicing, and composition, will be the route.
I'm on a consrtant learning curve, but am encouraged by all of your comments.

The drums sound muffled. There's almost no kick present. The bass is also a bit murky foggy.

Also, I'd play w/ panning/separation a bit more - particularly the synths ... more out to opposite sides.

What are you using for drums?
Tama Superstar kit. Not very adventurous drumming though.
Layed down a drum machine track first, from my Kawai Mp11, to do the guitars in time.
Last job was to mute the initial drum track, and add real drums.

The drums sound muffled. There's almost no kick present. The bass is also a bit murky foggy.

Also, I'd play w/ panning/separation a bit more - particularly the synths ... more out to opposite sides.
I know. The kick is not good, but I'm working on it, adjusting things each time I record.
I also have foggier bass recordings than this. It must be a black art.
Actually, the two synth voices WERE separated. I listened on my monitors yesterday, but I know they were separated. Others might not.

Very nice track. The distorted guitar chords seem a bit too loud in the mix. What recording gear did you use?
Thanks for listening. Yes, it is a bit loud.

Drums : Tama Superstar kit, Samson drum mics, Behringer 32:8:2 mixer,Behringer 2600 compressor, Behringer V-Verb Pro, Focusrite 18i8.
Bass : Ibanez SR300EB Bass, Behringer Vamp Bass Rack, Focusrite 18i8.
Raunchy electric guitar :Ibanez RG370AHMZ Guitar, Behringer Vamp Pro Rack, Focusrite 18i8
Cleanish electric guitar :Ibanez RG370AHMZ Guitar, Behringer Vamp Pro Rack, Focusrite 18i8.
Synth Choir :Roland Integra7 voice, played from Kawai MP11, Focusrite 18i8.
Synth waspish voice :Roland Integra7 voice, played from Kawai MP11, Focusrite 18i8.
Synth whistle type voice :Korg MS2000B, Focusrite 18i8.

All of that into Cubase Elements 11.

It is really just an idea, for further development, and I will look back over these sugestions.

Tama Superstar kit. Not very adventurous drumming though.
Layed down a drum machine track first, from my Kawai Mp11, to do the guitars in time.
Last job was to mute the initial drum track, and add real drums.

I know. The kick is not good, but I'm working on it, adjusting things each time I record.
I also have foggier bass recordings than this. It must be a black art.
Actually, the two synth voices WERE separated. I listened on my monitors yesterday, but I know they were separated. Others might not.

Thanks for listening. Yes, it is a bit loud.

Drums : Tama Superstar kit, Samson drum mics, Behringer 32:8:2 mixer,Behringer 2600 compressor, Behringer V-Verb Pro, Focusrite 18i8.
Bass : Ibanez SR300EB Bass, Behringer Vamp Bass Rack, Focusrite 18i8.
Raunchy electric guitar :Ibanez RG370AHMZ Guitar, Behringer Vamp Pro Rack, Focusrite 18i8
Cleanish electric guitar :Ibanez RG370AHMZ Guitar, Behringer Vamp Pro Rack, Focusrite 18i8.
Synth Choir :Roland Integra7 voice, played from Kawai MP11, Focusrite 18i8.
Synth waspish voice :Roland Integra7 voice, played from Kawai MP11, Focusrite 18i8.
Synth whistle type voice :Korg MS2000B, Focusrite 18i8.

All of that into Cubase Elements 11.

It is really just an idea, for further development, and I will look back over these sugestions.
Thank you so much. Great track! Neville

Tried a remix this evening.
The two synths were slightly apart, but both on the rhs. Moved one over to the left.
Turned down the raunchy guitar a bit.
Also turned up the organ, which I forgot was even there.
It sounded more listenable, but I think the organ is actually a bit high now.
View attachment Raunch1v2.mp3

Back