Rackmount computer cases

pointfive

Has anyone here built a PC using a rackmountable case? Here are examples: http://www.directron.com/raccas.html

If so, do you have any recommendations? I'm thinking of building a PC using one of these, but I've had limited experience with them, so I'm not sure how quiet they are, how well they mount into studio racks, etc.

Any advice will be well appreciated!

The best advice I can offer is make sure you get one big enough for a regular sized power supply 3u and 4u cases should be fine. The smaller cases take a specialized power supply, and they are less than ideal for everyday use, let alone recording. Sure it may take up an extra couple of rack spaces, but it'd be worth it. Also the 3 and 4u cases are easier to keep cool, for obvious reasons. Also, with 1 and 2u cases, they use riser cards, that change teh angle of how your PCI cards mount, and usually have no room for more than 1 or 2, let alone an AGP riser (if you have a decent video card) 4u cases are pretty much exactly the same as any other pc case, except it's rack mountable. That's really the only difference, other than the internal layout, which isn't always all that different. When selecting your fans, you can usually see the db level they produce in the item notes, that and purchasing the iso pad kit for computer cases and I'd say you'd have yourself a nice fairly quiet PC. I've never mounted one in an actual "rack" yet, but the width is the same as any other rack unit, so I'd say that should be a non-issue.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ce=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=412&Submit=Property

I built my recording PC in a rackmount case as well. It was just as simple as building in a regular case, and fits fine in any rack - looks pretty cool too! I actually mounted the unit in a rack which I built into an isolation box, which I designed and built myself. It really helps keep the noise down.

mines kinda noisy... ive been considering replacing the fans with some ultra-quiet ones... or more likely ill build a front door for my rack...

but, im not saying its noisier than a regular case...

all in all i wouldnt go back

gl

Awesome, thanks everyone.

I'll do that search, Garik. If I find anything I'll post the link back here.

Creamyapples, your advice was extremely helpful. I'll probably go for a 4u; I have plenty of space in my rack for it. I'll probably get a motherboard with built-in video rather than getting a video card; I only plan on using this thing for audio (mostly mixdown, but eventually multi-tracking).

I'm not sure what an iso pad kit is, but I'll look into it.

Again, thanks! This really helped steer me in the right direction.

Last edited:
I built mine in a 4U rack case I bought from EBay. I can't find the seller link right now, but it's your standard black industrial rackmount PC case (we have several here at work). It doesn't have much in the way of noise suppression, but I used quiet PSU, fans and HD's so it's pretty doggone quiet. I dunno, going back and doing it over, I think I would have reconsidered and gotten a normal tower case. I thought I need the rackmount option for location recording, but I haven't moved the damn thing once since I built it. :o

JeffLancaster said:
I built my recording PC in a rackmount case as well. It was just as simple as building in a regular case, and fits fine in any rack - looks pretty cool too! I actually mounted the unit in a rack which I built into an isolation box, which I designed and built myself. It really helps keep the noise down.
How tough was the isolation box to build? Do you have any pics of it online?

pointfive said:
How tough was the isolation box to build? Do you have any pics of it online?

No, sorry - I don't have any pics yet, but I could probably take a picture and post it this evening. It's actually a part of a custom desk which I designed. I'm still finishing up the final details on it, but thought I'd post detailed pictures and a description of the project when I was done.

Mostly looking for case recommendations. What specific case do you have?

Dont know the brand but its the one with 7 5.25" Bays I bought it from computer geeks. Have not really seen much of that case and it is HUGE and DEEP (6 space) But I was able to fit 5 HD bays, 2 dvd burner, and a water cooling pump and reservoir, I cut a 120mm hole in the top for the radiator. It's so deep that it sticks out a good foot from my other rack gear. I run a prescott so heat was an issue but water cooling fixed that and the noise. The huge 120mm fan makes no noise and keeps everthing operating a good temps

look Here

for some rack cases. I have installed one of those I-star cases and they are not bad.

OK, here's a couple pics. The first one shows the isolation box with my computer and other equipment mounted inside. I still have 4U space left in the rack to mount a second computer if I wish.

The second picture shows the studio desk I built with the isolation box as the right side support. I am still not quite done with this project (the Darigold crate monitor stands are only temporary :rolleyes: and I clearly have some cable management issues to contend with still), however I'm getting close and this is working out well. Once it's complete I'll try to post more detailed pictures and a description of the project.

Oops - It appears the pictures didn't upload properly. I think the files are too large. bear with me while I make adjustments...

Boy, I didn't realize I'd have to compress the pictures so much to get them to upload. I think pretty soon I am going to put together a little website where I can upload pictures in higher quality (as well as my songs) and just post links to them from here.

OK, while I'm on a roll here, I thought I'd post one more picture. This is a closeup inside the isolation box so you can see how the PC looks mounted in the rack:

Attachments

• PCinRack.JPG
    PCinRack.JPG
    51.9 KB · Views: 132
Back