Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Don't Know

• "Frankly Scarlett, I don't give a damn."

• I am not a believer.

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
Sure but there was no j in 1611 English. It does look like a j.
Fair enough. It was an Italian guy that first separated I and J in 1524.
I was commenting on the picture you provided.
I was reading a study Bible decades ago and there was a little number by the name Jesus so I looked at the bottom of the page and it said its the same name as the old testament Joshua
Yep, this is true. It always surprises kids I know called Joshua, when I tell them this. They look with wide eyes.....then they go back to playing !
I told Pastor Bobbin about and he said yeah but it doesn't matter what we call him so I said ok let's call him Baalzebub. Didn't go over too well.
😆
His point is a good one, but not without nuance. Like many things.
You should've seen my Mum's reaction when I jokingly told her I'd name my son Judas if I ever had one.
That didn't go down well at all !

In Daniel Webster's original dictionary which I think came out in 1832 he wrote that an education without the Bible is no education at all. I've been accused of rejecting the Bible, mostly by people who haven't read much of it, but I haven't rejected it I just see it in a different way.

Did God write the Bible? Yes and no, due to the confusion of language. If God is the all in all then we are part of that. God in the absolute did not write it but God in the relative world of creation did. There's only one of us so who else can I blame. I did it.

The good news is we will all be in heaven and it will be surprisingly pleasant because we've forgotten how much we like it.

The good news is we will all be in heaven and it will be surprisingly pleasant because we've forgotten how much we like it.
If one thinks about it logically, that concept of Heaven is illogical. I mean, what then is the point of death ? And what purpose does "good" and "bad" serve ? And come to think of it, why not just do anything one likes, regardless of how "depraved" it may be or who might get hurt by it ? Because we're all going to heaven and it will be pleasant.
Right up there with Hitler and Pol Pot. Count me out.
Looked at through that lens, this ^^^ is the more noble course of action.
Now there's story with a happy ending...I like it.
I don't. It makes pretty much every action meaningless and pointless. It means there is no distinction between a child sexual abuser who never addressed, let alone regretted or turned from their actions and paid the earthly penalty, and carried on willy-nilly abusing and you. Even the hedonist and nihilist don't live accepting that in reality.

So Moses said, “This is what the Lord says: ‘About midnight I will go throughout Egypt. Every firstborn son in Egypt will die, from the firstborn son of Pharaoh, who sits on the throne, to the firstborn son of the female slave, who is at her hand mill, and all the firstborn of the cattle as well.
You can spin it and rationalize it anyway you like, I call it murder
It's not really about spinning and rationalizing.
Interestingly, it's hard to pin any of our definitions {I don't mean us personally, I mean the definitions that actually exist that countries and states go by} of murder on God, given that God is the one that sets the framework under which our notions of justice exist in the first place.
That said, while the biblical quote given appears to go one way, in the interests of balance, I think it's only fair to quote other biblical passages that provide an overall context and backdrop to God and God's actions as they were recorded. I'm only going to do one though, for now, and this one quotes God actually giving a message to people:
“My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts,” says the LORD.

“And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine.

For just as the heavens are higher than the earth,

so my ways are higher than your ways

and my thoughts higher than your thoughts"
Food for our thought.
Jesus is okay with me, it's his old man that is a son of a bitch. If they are one and the same that is some split personality right there.
Hmmm.....
I'd say that some understanding of one God that exists as three unified personalities is a necessary requirement. But it's a tough ask. The people that recorded God's adventures "in the Bible", to the extent they ever did so, rarely make it clear. I don't think it would be unfair to say that most people that follow Christ can't adequately explain the notion, or do so simply {because it isn't simple}. Many don't even believe it or are at best suspicious of it.

Back