Questions from the deep end of the pool

KODAJYNX

Ok, here goes. been working with VS-1680 for 10 years, with only one breakdown about 5 years ago, not many repairmen for old Roland stuff around these days. Have ton of songs in the dreaded Roland data form
[proprietary sucks] and feel an overwhelming need to get them into a " safer " environment

The only thing I've done on computers before is flirt with girls,lol sooooooooooooooooooo......

I just bought a Roland quadcapture audio interface bundled with Cakewalk Sonar producer, it is all
Roland so it should be easier to work with.

All I want to do at the moment is transfer all my old 1680 tracks onto the computer through Producer, later on I'll get into mastering and recording on cakewalk, for now just need to save these tracks. Still plan on working with the 1680 till she dies.

Haven't bought the comp yet,{want one just for the DAW,, only online stuff will be for updates, and up loads, so space on comp won't be a problem.

here is where I need help.....when I get the comp and get everything installed, I will be trying to send my tracks [as audio of course], I know I can only do two tracks at a time, and with the amount of songs I have, it will be labor intensive, but my "babies" are worth it. so some questions, remembering I am new to this whole thing;

1; I'm not really sure how to MIDI the tracks up so everything is in sync. [I won't be recording any instruments at this rime] I know at some point I'll have to "slave" the 1680 to the interface, but where and how do I lay the initial MIDI time track?

2; The Interface has MIDI in and out, and coaxial for audio[which I plan to use to send the tracks through to the comp/usb for as little degradation as possible, but I need to know if this IS possible. I assume it is since I can record instruments that way but just trying to cover the bases[newbie, remember]

That is all for now, i am sure I will need more later.

Back