questions about sending DAW effects to mixer for rehearsal

gene12586

When I rehearse vocals I use a PA system (specifically, powered mixer into speakers), and I will typically use the reverb effect on my mixer for my vocals. For future rehearsals I want to have the option of additionally using some effects plugins I have in my DAW (e.g., delay and chorus) for my vocals while using the PA system. I've never simultaneously used a DAW with my PA system, and so I just want to check that what I'm thinking will work....
Would it be as simple as vocal mic > mixer (with reverb) > audio interface > DAW (apply additional effects) > audio interface > mixer > speakers?
I'll also likely record the singing as well as it passes through the DAW cuz why not...
Will this setup work? Or am I missing something?
Thanks.

If it works at rehearsal it will work at a gig...Except Sods Law will obtain and you can be sure the laptop will crash at the most inopportune moment!
Ha! Lots of bands run laptops for all sorts of reasons but they usually engineer a backup system. You should ensure that if the FX chain goes Ts Up you can easily bypass it. Could be as simple as running the signals through an A/B pedal.

Dave.

Does the audio interface have a microphone input? Just plug the mic in there and then the interface into the mixer. There’s probably reverb in the DAW too, but I suppose you could still add it at the mixer if you prefer.

If it works at rehearsal it will work at a gig...Except Sods Law will obtain and you can be sure the laptop will crash at the most inopportune moment!
Ha! Lots of bands run laptops for all sorts of reasons but they usually engineer a backup system. You should ensure that if the FX chain goes Ts Up you can easily bypass it. Could be as simple as running the signals through an A/B pedal.

Dave.
Thanks. I was just asking about for rehearsal... but good to know it can work for a gig too.
I'm not sure what Ts up means, but I take it that's just some sort of crashing of the laptop.
With the A/B pedal I take it you're saying after the vocal mike feeds into the mixer, then at the next step feed into an A/B pedal and have one path go straight to the speakers and the other path go to interface > computer > interface > mixer > speakers so that I can switch to the straight to speakers path if the computer path fails. Correct me if I'm worng.

Does the audio interface have a microphone input? Just plug the mic in there and then the interface into the mixer. There’s probably reverb in the DAW too, but I suppose you could still add it at the mixer if you prefer.
Thanks. I prefer the reverb that's on the mixer to any of the ones I have in the DAW - I've gotten used to singing with it, and it also sounds better than the ones I currently have in the DAW.

I am obliged Rob! Re the A/B switch. I am envisioning a path... FX out of mixer to AI. Round the DAW, back from AI to mixer? In that loop you put a switch box such that if you lose the PC feed, a quick 'hoof' shunts the FX out back to the mixer channel. You would need to adjust levels for close to 'unity gain'.

Dave.

When I rehearse vocals I use a PA system (specifically, powered mixer into speakers), and I will typically use the reverb effect on my mixer for my vocals. For future rehearsals I want to have the option of additionally using some effects plugins I have in my DAW (e.g., delay and chorus) for my vocals while using the PA system. I've never simultaneously used a DAW with my PA system, and so I just want to check that what I'm thinking will work....
Would it be as simple as vocal mic > mixer (with reverb) > audio interface > DAW (apply additional effects) > audio interface > mixer > speakers?
I'll also likely record the singing as well as it passes through the DAW cuz why not...
Will this setup work? Or am I missing something?
Thanks.
I would patch the Audio Interface into your Vocals Channel - then send and return the DAW into the channel - You will have to experiment with the Levels to a get a proper feed - What Mixer are you using? - If Digital it would be easier - you could possibly just use the plugin - instead of patching the entire DAW into the PA.

Back