Question on usage of beats...

WreakHavocMusic

I am working with hip hop music. I am planning to make a demo/mixtape, however i dont have any beats. I was wonderin if i could use beats from other rappers (for example, Jay-z, eminem).

will this be okay if im not doing it for profit?

what if I sold the cds for lie $5?

thanks

if you sell the CD there's no way you can do that but you can look around i'm sure there's some free un-copyrighted beats out there

You can not take someone's property that's stealing

Copyright infringement is a serious federal & musical crime. With the advent of the net and other medias it is much easier to be caught doing such things.

You can not take someone else's property and use it for gain that's like someone taking your car without your permission, going to New York to make a delivery, getting paid for that delivery, and after doing all that not returning your car to you nor ever giving you a piece of the money that was made. That's stealing.

If you are trying to do a demo you need to invest in your future. Pay your dues because they will be paid one way or the other!

Jay-Z had to invest in his career, creating his own sound and identity to be heard so if you are attempting to model your career around him, you have to find local producers or on the net that you can afford to be produced by.

Of course you can give them away for free as long as you don't profit off of them theres no legal matters. Not one that anyone would actually sue you for.

You should just find someone in your area that is a producer and buy/lease beats from him/her. Keep producers in buisiness!

Buy yourself an ELECTRIBE er-1 and you can easily make your own beats...they are fairly cheap on ebay.
also,..check out issue June 2009 of Sound on Sound recording magizine,..it has all the answers to your questions about Remixing other peoples art.
I, myself am not into this kinda thing (remix),..but, there is a very good article in the S.O.S. magazine about all this, especially the copyright thing.

Technically stealing...

But in all honesty, that's what mixtape heads have been doing for a LONG time. To my knowledge, the whole idea of a mixtape was producing new tracks over famous beats (all hijacked/ stolen). Usually the idea is to use beats by artists that are so famous that they don't care much about the few $ you'll make off a few CD-R's of your tracks that you sell at a show. The flipside/ irony of this is that it'll make your stuff easier to spot if you post it online. Unlikely that Def Jam's gonna come after you for your $5 cd.;)

But to avoid all the rukus, it's still alot easier to get some free non-exclusives from sites like soundclick and do it yourself.

Back