Question for Harvey or anyone who has used an M49

PhilGood

Juice box hero
I finally got done rebuilding a Soundelux e49 for myself from the SD parts I acquired. I used a Dave Ulan M7 that I've had for a while. It doesn't sound like the standard e49 that I rebuilt using a Soundelux K47 or a Peluso PK47. Its very round without very much high end at all, though it seems to take high EQ very well.

I'm just wondering from anyone who's ever used a Neumann M49 if they have that subdued high end or if maybe this is just the capsule. It almost sounds like a ribbon.

I followed the components to the letter from the other e49's I have, so I don't think I did something wrong with the circuit. I just didn't expect the upper frequencies to be so...absent, but maybe that's par for the course.

Anyone?

Attachments

• e49-rebuild.jpg
    e49-rebuild.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 71
...I don't know if this will help but here's the frequency chart for an M49:

Attachments

• m49_freqchart.jpg
    m49_freqchart.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 65
Well, I just got the other two of the e49's repaired with the stock circuit and K47 capsules and they don't sound like that one. I'm going to swap capsules and see if its the circuit.

I've got a pair of Gefells with M7's, and they sound about the way you describe. Kind of round on the top, but take EQ nicely.

Well, I'm starting to think I read the bands wrong on a couple resistors.:o

Well, that's what I thought, and even though I was correct after I replaced them with the correct values the mic still has an ultra soft high end so it must be the capsule. I heard some of Dale's capsules were dark sounding, but this one is DARK!

I have another from the same batch. I hope its not this dark.

I've got a pair of Gefells with M7's, and they sound about the way you describe. Kind of round on the top, but take EQ nicely.

Yeah, you could spit and screams S's into thiSSSS thing at it would look at ya like, "huh?".:D

Back