Question about the selection of equipment for home studio

Burmeisteria

Hello 👋

I read many topics about 'how to build a home studio' on the internet. I want to build my first home studio, who has accepted to try to play music? At the moment I don't know which genre I want to create probably ambient, techno, and movie music.

Bellow my setup, can someone confirm that it is ok? or advice on other equipment? The budget is such that the equipment is acceptable, and then I could resell and buy a better one.

Hardware which I have:
- computer - MacBook 16 pro / 32GB ram
- digital piano - Roland FP 90x (I love this key, btw I also playing piano for +3 years), but I use it only as a piano controller, without included sounds

Hardware which I want buy:
- DAW - Ableton 11 Suite + Push 2
- midi interface - FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 4 I 4 3GEN or Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 3gen, but at the moment I need only an audio interface for the microphone and guitar electric.
- microphone - RODE NT1
- monitors: KRK Rokit RP7 G4 5inch
- Headphones - Beyerdynamic-DT-770-pro-250 - should I buy an amplifier?

Can I ask for information, is this equipment ok or should I choose something else?

Last edited:
The Beyerdynamic-DT-770-pro-250 will probably be OK, but if not loud enough get a headphone amplifier. You'd get more volume without an amplifier with the Pro 80 or 32 lower impedance models.

Even though you say that you "need only an audio interface for the microphone and guitar electric", get at least 4 mic inputs. The day will come when you look at the two mic inputs and go "crap!". The 18i8 has the 4 mic inputs, plus an optical input so you can add another 8 mic inputs via a preamp should you ever need it. It's a bit of future proofing.

I agree with the NT1, it's very quiet and not peaky sounding. Eventually, if you start recording acoustic instruments, you'll start digging into the microphone rabbit hole, but that can always come later. The NT1 is a good starting point.

I don't know the Rokits, but I have the JBL 305s and they are very good. However, the 5" woofers will leave you lacking the low bass register. My 308s are much better for that. I would do a lot of comparison of the monitors, since those can directly affect what you hear and if not reasonably accurate, can lead you astray when mixing down your music.

That lot should get you started, very nicely.
I've never bought Rokit speakers, but have read that they have mass added to give artificially better bass.
Don't buy less than 5" speakers. That is about the passable limit.
You can't go far wrong with 5" speakers, as they are fairly cheap. You can buy better later.
I bought Tannoy Reveal 502 5" speakers, which are fairly good soundwise, and cheap. But they do not have soft power-up, so you get a sharp click
when you turn them off, unlike my nice 8" speakers.

That lot should get you started, very nicely.
I've never bought Rokit speakers, but have read that they have mass added to give artificially better bass.
Don't buy less than 5" speakers. That is about the passable limit.
You can't go far wrong with 5" speakers, as they are fairly cheap. You can buy better later.
I bought Tannoy Reveal 502 5" speakers, which are fairly good soundwise, and cheap. But they do not have soft power-up, so you get a sharp click
when you turn them off, unlike my nice 8" speakers.
Hey Ray! I have had a set of Tannoy Reveal 5As for some years now and they do not click when coming on or off.
Actually I have them powered now from a wireless switch which also controls a 40" FSTV and an Arcam amp (as pre amp)
All just comes on and off with the mildest 'whump'.

Dave.

I talked to my store, and I suggested in many of the following products, explaining that they are better than for cooperation.
What do you think, it really is, does the store want to sell me what it has, or what is its profitability?
- midi interface
- my suggestion: FOCUSRITE SCARLETT 4 AND 4 3GEN
- the shop suggested: MOTU M4
microphone
- my proposal: Rode NT1 /
- the store proposed: Sontronics STC-20 PACK + ‌Samson MBA48 (arm)
monitors:
- my proposal: KRK ROKIT RP7 G4 5 inches
- the shop suggested: ‌Pioneer VM-70 - Active monitor 6.5 "+ stands: IsoAcoustics ISO-155
headphones:
- my suggestion: beyerdynamic-dt-770-pro-250
- the store suggested: ‌beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO 80
- wires:
- my suggestion: none
- the store suggested: SSQ XX3 PRO + SSQ JSXM3 PRO

Well - the two interfaces are very similar - I'd be happy with either I think.
The Rode mic is a decent Australian mic with a decent history. The Sontronics is a Chinese mic with good comments, but I've never heard one. I suspect for around the same price, I'd go for the one I know - the Rode, but I'd bet the Sontronics is a sensible alternative.
Speakers - KRK are well known. The Pioneers are well known for having DJs like them, not enthusiastic recordists. There is a difference. Basically, the Pioneers have a more bottom end heavy sound, like all DJ products. The KRKs are small drivers but pretty well balanced until the bass starts to just fade away as the audio gets lower in pitch.
Headphones - 250Ohm headphones will be quieter, 80 Ohm ones louder - other than that, nothing much in it. 250Ohm headphones need a loud amp.

The SSQ XX3 PRO - it's a cable brand they can make a few quid on. All that matters with cables is decent connectors and cable that is flexible and coils well. I found them on a Polish web site - they have Neutrik connectors - that is good. I can't find any for sale in the UK at all, so I guess youre abroad? Maybe even in Poland perhaps? Basically I would personally NEVER pay more than £15 for a 6m XLR - I make my own, always have. I can make a 10m cable with decent connectors for just over £10. I would never pay over £20 for a 10m cable. If I sell a 10m cable I have made, then I'd charge £20, as it takes me maybe 15 mins - that's a reasonable margin without being greedy.

Also on the Monitors and lack of bass..it is amazing how much a small subwoofer from an abandoned TV surround system can add for the small studio monitors. Remember the bass tones are omni directional so there is no need for two, one handles the lows for both

I would add a DBX diverack PA2 with calibration mic to the monitor chain.
It takes a lot of the guesswork out of the equation IMHO.

Back