Quantegy available and shipping again?

shedshrine

Well, the online page follows through all the way to checkout at the Quantegy online site so it seems it's available now.
$20.95 shipped for 1/4" 456.. (and $28.95 for 1/4" 457)

"Availability: Usually ships the next business day."

http://www.quantegy-online.com/456457.html

If this is old news, my apologies, I just came across it.

They're just getting rid of their old stock until they bring back, restart production of 456, 499 and GP9.:)

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but recording "hotter" isn't going to degrade the tape any quicker. I'm pretty sure it's the tension, speed, and age/condition of the tape that will determine how quickly the tape degrades.

-MD

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but recording "hotter" isn't going to degrade the tape any quicker. I'm pretty sure it's the tension, speed, and age/condition of the tape that will determine how quickly the tape degrades.
-MD

I imagine if you recorded at a field strength of thousands of Teslas you could probably rip the oxide off the backing, but apart from that, no, the record level isn't going to affect the tape itself.
What it may do is require a higher erase or bias current than the machine is designed for, but that's about it.

How many passes can you make with that old tape? i guess it just depends on how hot you record?

Tape lasts a long time in storage if there are no binder or other issues with the particular kind of tape. The expected passes from tape made that recently is no different from tape made last week (if they were making tape right now). In fact that goes for tape made 10 or more years ago.

Recording level has nothing to do with how many passes a tape can manage. It's all physical wear...up to thousands of passes. At a certain point physical wear will lead to audible dropouts, but this is a long process and a typical tracking or master tape will never see that much wear once the recording is complete.

Vendors advertising tape as “Factory Fresh” can be misleading… gives a false impression that it has an expiration date like Bologna or something, which it doesn’t.

:)

Back