Quality On Mic Pre-amp

geeq

Hello.. recently, i've been having trouble with behringer mixer due to noise... soo i decided to trade it with this dude who owns a Joemeek Studio Channel Mic Pre-Amp... I've been hearing alot about this mic pre-amp.. well mostly positive ones.. the only problem i have with this pre-amp is the quality.. it sounded like a phone effect quality.. the mic pre-amp doesn't have less noise compare to the behringer mixer.. that's the good side about it.. Are you guys familiar with this pre-amp.. I'm thinking of the settings issue, do you guys know how to deal with the settings.. it has a bunch of knobs, im not familiar with: Attack, Release, Drive, Reasonance, Compression, and Enhance.. im thinking of buying a BEHRINGER CABLE TESTER CT-100.. r u guys familiair with this????? can i use this as a mic pre-amp???? how bout a phonic mixer?? it's the only option i can think of, based on my budget.. :(

The cable tester is just for testing cables. BOTH ends of the cable plug into the box at the same time to check for continuity.

As far as the "phone" sound you're getting from the Meek, are you doubling the signal somewhere?

The Meeks are pretty colorful, but they certainly should give you better results than the Behringer preamps...

John Scrip - www.massivemastering.com

The Meek VC1Q (Studio Channel) is far superior to a Behringer. The preamp by itself is relatively quiet and clean until you engage the compressor. You need to learn how to use this unit, and you need to check the rest of your signal chain, inluding your mic, mic cable, and soundcard.

If the VC1Q is in proper working order, it is a very good channel strip. If you can't get a good sound out of it, the fault lies elsewhere.

First, turn off the compressor. Then, turn off the EQ (Meequalizer). Turn up the input gain until only the peaks go into the red on the meter. Then turn up the input gain until your recorder is tracking at no higher than -6db. Now you have a preamp. Then, learn what compression is for.-Richie

Back