Not exactly a "recording" issue but . . .

Drumhog

I have a Focusrite interface (18i20). Thus far, no issues with inputs/outputs etc.
In addition to recording with this unit, I use it to connect to Jamkazam for remote collaboration. That also has been fairly trouble free.
I was using two mics on my drums for Jamkazam plugged straight into my interface. A Shure Beta 52A on the kick and a MXL R144 with a Triton FETHead Ge as a room mic.
I wanted to try running the mics through my mixer (Soundcraft Spirit M8) before the interface so I had only one input feed for Jamkazam.
I cannot get a clean signal into/out of my interface. I've played with turning off pre amps on the mixer and interface, adjusted input/output levels with no luck.
Any ideas of what I may be overlooking? Seemed like a simple enough idea, but I'm obviously missing something. Any advice is appreciated.

Hi,
I bought a balanced TRS to XLR cable. I have it connected to the 1/4" Mono Sum output of the mixer to the Input 1 (combo socket) on the front of the Focusrite Audio Interface.

I have a Focusrite interface (18i20). Thus far, no issues with inputs/outputs etc.
In addition to recording with this unit, I use it to connect to Jamkazam for remote collaboration. That also has been fairly trouble free.
I was using two mics on my drums for Jamkazam plugged straight into my interface. A Shure Beta 52A on the kick and a MXL R144 with a Triton FETHead Ge as a room mic.
I wanted to try running the mics through my mixer (Soundcraft Spirit M8) before the interface so I had only one input feed for Jamkazam.
I cannot get a clean signal into/out of my interface. I've played with turning off pre amps on the mixer and interface, adjusted input/output levels with no luck.
Any ideas of what I may be overlooking? Seemed like a simple enough idea, but I'm obviously missing something. Any advice is appreciated.
Seems odd that with two microphones you want to use a mixer - but anyway your mis-matching gain somewhere - I would check what the outputs of the Mixer are and What the inputs of the 1820i are - it sounds like one *(the Mixer) is mic level and the other (1820i) is line level.

You are using the wrong type of cable. You need a TRS to TRS cable. The cable you are using is sending a line level signal from the mono out to a mic level input on the Focusrite and overloading the input on the Focusrite.

Seems odd that with two microphones you want to use a mixer
I agree, but I'm trying to simplify things for the Jamkazam platform. So, there is just a single "drum" level that others need to adjust on their end. I appreciate the replies. This stuff confuses me to the point that I'm just pushing buttons and turning knobs. If it magically works somehow I have no idea what I did or why it's working (or not working).
I will try a TRS to TRS cable.

Back