Push-pull pot questions

acidrock

GO PACKERS!
I've got a 3/4 size guitar that at the moment is a toy.I'm going to change the tuners,the pickup,possibly the bridge and I'm also thinking about replacing the single pot(volume) on the guitar with a push pull pot so I could coil tap the new pickup.

The questions I have are...

Does a push/pull pot fit in the same amount of space as a normal pot?

Does someone know of a wiring diagram for a single push/pull volume pot and one pickup?(That should be pretty damn easy,ya' think?)

Anything I sould look for when buying the p/p pot?

I'm hoping to make a cool travel guitar that I can use with headphones and maybe a mini digital four track.This is the guitar in question....

Attachments

• vee-wee.jpg
    vee-wee.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 55
I did that with my So-Cal. Push-pull are a little deeper than stock pots, but they should fit if the guitar is normal depth. Instead of coil tap, I did a tone switch. Anyway, for the pot leads, just use standard volume pot wiring, although if you do coil tap, the volume pot is fed from the coil tap output.

All you need to do for a coil tap is ground the center wires on the pickup. For instance, on a Seymour Duncan, it is the red and white wires. When you pull up the switch, they should be grounded. It is a very simple thing to wire. The volume pot gets feed from the same output wire either wat (the black one, on a Seymour Duncan).

At any rate, HERE IS A WIREING DIAGRAM FROM SEYMOUR DUNCAN.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

mshilarious said:
I did that with my So-Cal. Push-pull are a little deeper than stock pots, but they should fit if the guitar is normal depth. Instead of coil tap, I did a tone switch. Anyway, for the pot leads, just use standard volume pot wiring, although if you do coil tap, the volume pot is fed from the coil tap output.
Is that a So Cal Speed Shop Strat? If so, are ya using the stock Alnico humbucker, or did ya swap in something hotter? I'm considering a Fender Atomic humbucker, for my So Cal Speed Shop Strat. I could always get a TV Jones MagnaTron for my coming Squier Bullet special baritone conversion, and use my TV Jones PowerTron in my So Cal Speed Shop Strat.

Matt

Unsprung said:
Is that a So Cal Speed Shop Strat? If so, are ya using the stock Alnico humbucker, or did ya swap in something hotter? I'm considering a Fender Atomic humbucker, for my So Cal Speed Shop Strat. I could always get a TV Jones MagnaTron for my coming Squier Bullet special baritone conversion, and use my TV Jones PowerTron in my So Cal Speed Shop Strat.

Actually I rewound the stock pickup by hand lighter to 5.6K ohms, and I removed the cover. I wanted a bright sound for surf music, and I already have a Gibson with a 13K ohm pickup, so the So-Cal is a totally different sound for me. Next up I'm gonna drop a trem on it :cool: replace the nut & string trees, and I still need to do the hand-painted chicken head knob . . . painted to look like a chicken :D

I do like TV Jones though, the local shop here has an Epi Airscreamer that I want real bad, but it has EMGs :confused: Obviously the thing should have TV Jones on it :cool:

Back