Proper way to setup EQ

Most of the time, it's time based effects that use an FX track, while dynamics and EQ are used as inserts.

The main difference is whether you are blending the dry signal with the wet signal. With EQ you don't. With dynamics, you normally don't, except when doing parallel compression, which is kind of a niche thing.

Which effects, besides reverb, generally get an FX track?

There are, in my view, two types of effects; those that are additive, and those that are transformative.

Additive effects are those where you keep the original, but add stuff to it. Typical of these are reverb and delay. And typically with these you send the signal to an FX track with reverb or delay on it, and bring back into the mix enough of the effect to complement the original.

Transformative effects are those where you change the original, i.e. you don't keep the original. Typical of these are EQ and compression. Typically with these you add the effect to the track and the effect changes the original. The original is no longer present in the mix as it was prior to transformation.

There are, in my view, two types of effects; those that are additive, and those that are transformative.
That's a great way to put it! It's always been pretty obvious and intuitive to me, the difference between insert and send effects, but I think you've found a pretty good way to describe it.

bsg - I'm not so sure about chorus so much as a send effect. I mean, circumstances sometimes lead us there, but a chorus is already a wet/dry mix (else it's a vibrato), so using it on a send just kind of "dilutes" the effect.

If you set the chorus at 100% wet, it's just like any other delay effect.

Vibrato is a volume effect, so it would be transformative.

Thanks, dudes --- some of the best in this thread. It's much more clear now.

Vibrato is a volume effect, so it would be transformative.
Only if you're Leo Fender!

In the real world, tremolo is amplitude modulation and vibrato is pitch modulation. Chorus is vibrato mixed with the original signal, or sometimes several vibrato lines mixed together. Different choruses are different, but most don't actually go all the way to just pitch modulated signals, but only to about 50/50 because otherwise they'd become vibrato.

Back