Proper way to setup EQ

4tracker

Hey guys, is there a way to setup EQ so I don't have to insert it on every track?

Like an FX track, but for EQ, or is it standard to insert it on every track?

I was reading that each plugin adds some distortion/artifacts, so I'd rather not have so many EQs if possible.

Thanks

Maybe each plug in adds distortion or artifacts, but if they do, it's really not worth worrying about.

It's possible to set up EQ so that you don't have to insert it on every track, but doing that is generally not very helpful.

Each track is likely to have its own EQ requirements . . . a one-size-fits-all approach is not very likely to be an answer.

Having said that, I have done exactly what you ask for.

In Reaper I frequently set up a group for, say, vocals. The group header has an assortment of FX that I use for vocals, e.g. compression, reverb send and EQ. Then I have a number of tracks under this that I use to record vocal takes. All these tracks go to the group header and share the same FX and so on.

Maybe each plug in adds distortion or artifacts, but if they do, it's really not worth worrying about.

It's possible to set up EQ so that you don't have to insert it on every track, but doing that is generally not very helpful.

Each track is likely to have its own EQ requirements . . . a one-size-fits-all approach is not very likely to be an answer.

Having said that, I have done exactly what you ask for.

In Reaper I frequently set up a group for, say, vocals. The group header has an assortment of FX that I use for vocals, e.g. compression, reverb send and EQ. Then I have a number of tracks under this that I use to record vocal takes. All these tracks go to the group header and share the same FX and so on.

Thanks.

What about setting up a high pass filter EQ as an FX? Would this make sense to do, tracks that require nothing but HPF don't have to have an insert EQ effect? Seems like it would cut processing, too.

Also, how does it work if you have two EQs -- one with a high pass turned on, and the second without a high pass (say it's a parametric EQ and nothing set at all on that band). Will it low cut, or does it raise the low end?

So:

EQ 1 -- high pass filter on low frequency band (say, cut off all below 50hz).
EQ 2 -- high pass filter with low frequency band not turned on at all

What happens? EQ2 wouldn't re-add the low end unless you turn that band on, correct?

The eq affects the signal fed to it. If you feed it the signal that was high passed, it will now eq that high passed signal how ever you set the controls.

Nothing magical will happen to undo what the first eq did.

By definition, if you change the sound of something, you are distorting it. Each instance of eq alters the sound going through it, but that's the point of putting the eq on it. That is the only thing the eq will do.

The way you worded it made me think you were under the impression that using too many plugins will somehow degrade the overall quality. It wont. They don't build up. Each one only affects the sound you are running through it. Having an instance on each of 5 track set the same way will be the same as bussing the 5 tracks and putting 1 instance on the buss.

Eqs use little processing power compared to reverbs and amp sims. Use as many as you need. Whatever artifacts they add won't be all that much different if you use one eq on multiple tracks or a bunch of separate eqs. Besides, much of what you do with the eq is to change one track relative to the other tracks. You can't do that if you apply the same eq to all of them.

You can't be so.afraid of "artifacts" that it stops you from using the processing you need to in order to get the sound you want. If it sounds good when you are done, the artifacts don't matter.

I do just as Gecko said for backing vocals. I just set up a track as an EQ bus and send the output of the backing vocal tracks there. It really only makes sense when you have a number of parts like backing vocals that you want to blend together. Most parts will need individual EQ treatment.

If you DAW allows you to use buses or groups it would be possible to route your individual tracks into a bus/group and apply a single EQ there, BUT...

I find it difficult to think of a situation where the same EQ settings would be appropriate for multiple different tracks. There are some effects that can work applied to an entire mix but EQ is rarely one of them.

Also, as others have said, although EQ settings do add various forms of artifact or distortion but this is rarely enough to cause any problems. Pretty much every one of your favourite recordings will have had lots of different EQs added and you've never worried about it, so...

I find it difficult to think of a situation where the same EQ settings would be appropriate for multiple different tracks.

The only thing I could think was a high pass filter (50hz or so). I was wondering if I could set up eq on an FX track and cut out all the low end, and send all the tracks there so I don't have to add a HP on each track. Then the tracks that needed more refinement above say 50hz I'd fine tune via an EQ insert.

The reason being half my tracks I don't use any EQ other than a HP filter, so it seemed like overkill to keep putting them on each track.

I guess that's not a good way to go about it, though. So inserts on each track are the standard way to go about it?

Thanks, dudes.

The beauty of digital is that you can do whatever you want. The rule is that if it works, it's good. For me, it's just easy to get very confused once you start applying overall eq or effects, and small changes to one source mess up another. Think about PA systems. They use global eq for problem solving, rather than 'tone'. All the critical stuff is done at channel level.

It's easy enough to set up templates with the plug-ins already inserted (at least in Reaper), and set up saved EQ settings in ReaEQ (and most other EQs, too, I assume).

Last edited:
I use buss eq all the time for backing vocals. If I have 26 tracks of the same person doing giant harmonies, I buss them and eq the buss.

I also use it for rhythm guitar. If they used a different guitar sound for some of the rhythm tracks, I will eq the channel to get all the guitars to have the same weight, then buss them and eq them as a whole to get them to fit the mix.

I have the Default Track Properties in Sony Vegas set so that new tracks have ReaEQ and ReaComp already inserted. It's less work to delete the few unused ones than to manually insert them on practically all the tracks.

Analog boards have eq on all the main channels, and bigger boards even have eq on auxiliary inputs (effects returns). Big studio consoles also sometimes have compressors built in to the channels.

Starting with a good eq and a good compressor on all your channels isn't overkill, it's the norm.

1) Set up ten eq's in a row. Hear any 'artifact :listeningmusic:
2) If you were to need HP filtering on several tracks, how often would they all want the same freq?

2) If you were to need HP filtering on several tracks, how often would they all want the same freq?
Well, I use a 20Hz HPF and 18-20KHz LPF as "bookends" on damn near everything, and a lot of times I can get away with putting that on a bus somewhere, depending what the sources are and what's being done to them.

The only thing I could think was a high pass filter (50hz or so). I was wondering if I could set up eq on an FX track and cut out all the low end, and send all the tracks there so I don't have to add a HP on each track. Then the tracks that needed more refinement above say 50hz I'd fine tune via an EQ insert.

The reason being half my tracks I don't use any EQ other than a HP filter, so it seemed like overkill to keep putting them on each track.

I guess that's not a good way to go about it, though. So inserts on each track are the standard way to go about it?

Thanks, dudes.

Yeah man.... a EQ on each track should be very very minimal load on your machine, unless you are working with a really tired or challenged computer. Don't sweat using a bunch of em... It's nice to be able to fine tune the frequency of each too....

I don't just blindly throw Highpasses on every track.... it is not needed on some. Others it is.

I don't highpass bass guitar above 30 or so unless it actually needs it higher, but maybe I actually want my kick passed at 60. Or maybe I want my kick in/out mics passed different. Follow? A lot of the time I'll use no highpass at all if there isn't anything gross sounding down there... on any source. Keep in mind that rolling that off effects the perception of other frequencies. Play around with this. Experience is going to show you a lot.

I use Waves Q10. For almost everything. My GO TO eq. With 10 nodes, I can High Pass, Low Pass, Shelf, and notch cut/boost, all in the same plug, so it's a no brainer for me. Hands on control of the nodes. And it's Clean. Surgical. It's not going to change the sound of your source just by instantiating it - it's not colored like that. This is why I love it. I'll sometimes use other EQ's later in a chain, but that's more for color, not for getting technical with EQ. I'm fast with Q10, and it doesn't get in my way. One of the biggest things to me, is workflow (second to sound quality). Maintaining good workflow, vibe, inspiration during the mix process is huge to me. If there is anything that slows me down, or hinders me, it can be a total vibe killer, and distracts me from the mix and what is really going on.

If you don't have a good parametric EQ with multiple nodes/bands, then I suggest getting one.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Yeah. I'm with ShortySMC. I use High Pass on some tracks and, when I use it, I vary the roll off frequency as required. I certainly don't use it on every track or at a set frequency.

I've never found EQ to be a particular load on my adequate but not special computer.

What about delay, would that be placed on the audio track or as an fx track?

I notice when I used it as an fx, it had a different sound than when I used it inline on the track? Any idea why it would sound significantly different?

What about delay, would that be placed on the audio track or as an fx track?

I notice when I used it as an fx, it had a different sound than when I used it inline on the track? Any idea why it would sound significantly different?

If the delay is just used on one track then inserting it there makes sense. Delays don't use much processing power so, unlike a reverb, having several on tracks is no big deal.

If it sounds different on a bus than as an insert it's most likely something about how you're using it. When used on an effects bus you need to turn the mix to 100% effect and use the effect bus fader to balance it with the dry track. When used as an insert you balance the dry track with the effect using the plugin's controls.

If the delay is just used on one track then inserting it there makes sense. Delays don't use much processing power so, unlike a reverb, having several on tracks is no big deal.

If it sounds different on a bus than as an insert it's most likely something about how you're using it. When used on an effects bus you need to turn the mix to 100% effect and use the effect bus fader to balance it with the dry track. When used as an insert you balance the dry track with the effect using the plugin's controls.

Thanks a ton, Boulder.

Which effects, besides reverb, generally get an FX track?

Back