Project: Ward Beck Line Input --> Rackmount Mic Pre

not the best layout in the world, but from top to bottom, it's pads 1-8, then phantom for channels 1-4 and phantom for channels 5-8.

I just grouped the phantom in fours, cos,,idk. why not? :)

May I ask a silly question? Why are you starting with line input modules if you want mic pre amps?

In any case, you're bringing back good memories. I used a large-ish Ward Beck console back in the early 70s when I was working in Edmonton...and loved it to bits!

Good luck!

i bought a pair of wbs mic pres and racked them, and loved the sound.

Then i saw these line amps at a stupidly cheap price.

They have the same layout,opamps and transformer as the mic pre equivalent so i figured, why not?

plus it's a bit of fun.

Used them this week on voice and electric guitar; Couldn't be happier!!!

What console, do you know?
How'd you find those eqs? I'm looking at a pair of m462 3band paras as the next rackup.

It was a 32 input console installed in the Mobile unit we had at CITV in Edmonton back in the early 1970s--think we took delivery in 1973 or early 1974 from memory. We used it for a series of concert programmes of "XXXX in concert with the Edmonton Symphony"--people like Tom Jones and Englebert Humperdink amongst others.

I'm not sure of the the model number...we usually just called it "the Ward Beck". Does something like 7305 sound like it could be right?

As for the EQ, I loved it at the time--very musical and easy to get things to sit in the mix. Unusually, we used it for the initial recording then backed the mobile up in a special bay in the machine room and used the same console for mixdowns--it fitted so closely that an outside client who'd been working in the mobile all day asked if she could have a tour of the mobile "she'd heard about" before she left.

I wouldn't want to guess how the EQs would compete with modern stuff--that's an area where most manufacturers have improved--but I suspect I'd still like them.

Bob

not sure about that model number to be honest, but then i don't know that much about them.

I racked a few auditronics pres and ward beck pres, initially for the learning curve experience.
I didn't expect much apart from a little knowledge, but i was so pleased with the preamps that i ended up with!

Maybe when i get more experience in the big bad world of 'real' modern gear, i'll realise i'm in my own little bubble, but then, maybe i wont?

To date, the only other pres i have experience with are
digi 002+003 pres
focusrite octopres
focusrite isa828
motu 828 pres

and i 100% prefer my auditronics and ward becks to any of those, for any application :)

I haven't used them enough to draw a comparison between the m470a's and the m490's, but maybe i'll do a shootout sometime .

Back