problems hooking up microkorg to sonar4/xp

willow

hi,

i posted this in the sonar forum but didn't get any help. maybe here someone can give me some info?

i am waiting on a 18 ch. firewire mixer, but in the mean time i tried hooking up my microkorg synth, a while back. first i tried to go the midi route and i tried using a roland um-2, but i didn't have the drivers and it wouldn't work with the downloaded drivers..to much hassel so i tried direct and apparently- i found out later- that it won't work direct with this sound card!! !#$%@&#$

they say i should try loading better drivers for the sound card...

so, what drivers should i load and what is the correct procedure for this task?

i have an hp dualcore xp mc realtek ac 97

should i even mess with this (possible problems?) or just wait till i get the mixer?

thanks

If it's an 18 channel firewire mixer that you have on the way it's unlikely that the unit will have any midi functionality at all --- it's almost certainly an audio-only thing.

The UM-2 that you have should be perfectly compatable with a firewire mixer and happily run side by side with it, providing the midi input for your Microkorg.

Download the latest driver here and then turn the 'local on/off' in the Korg's 'Global' page to the off position. This will break the connection between the keyboard and the sound generator inside and will let you hook the out of the Korg to the in of the UM-2, then the out of the UM-2 to the in of the Korg.

Back