Computer has no clue the TASCAM box is hooked up

Mickmeister

I just unboxed a new TASCAM US-1200, installed the drivers, and hooked everything up. The driver installation was apparently successful. But the computer doesn't seem to be recognizing the box. The green Power light is on, but not the orange USB light. The mixer software isn't showing any indication that the box is present, and no sound is coming from the mic to the headphones.

I tried re-installing the software, which didn't fix the problem. Then I tried:

- Switching to a different USB port (not a hub)
- Removing other USB devices (hard drives)
- Turning off AV
- Then re-installing again

It's still not working after doing the above. I posted the question on the TASCAM tech support forum, but nobody there will be on the scene til Monday, so I figured I'd give it a go here in case anyone is familiar with that problem.

Do you have another USB cable to try? Some other device at home that uses that same type of cable?

Yowzers, you guys are quick! No joy on the alternate USB cable, though...the one that shipped with the box was too short for my needs so I had to go out and buy a longer one. Nothing but a deafening silence with either one.

Another thing I was wondering: Even if there's a problem with the unit communicating to the computer via USB, shouldn't I at least be able to hear the sound from the mic coming through the headphones? I'm wondering if this is all one problem or two unrelated ones.

Not sure that the Tascam AI's work at all without USB connection. I mean they are not really 'stand alone' type units. So I am not sure you would have headphones working for inputs without connection to PC.

Did you try going into Device Manager and removing the old drivers before installing the new ones from HERE?

Are you a PC or a 'I' dood?

:)

Not sure that the Tascam AI's work at all without USB connection. I mean they are not really 'stand alone' type units. So I am not sure you would have headphones working for inputs without connection to PC

Got it...makes sense.

Did you try going into Device Manager and removing the old drivers before installing the new ones from HERE?

That's the same driver version as what I'm using. There were a few botched installations, but I removed the drivers before re-installing (which the installer seems to do automatically anyway)

Are you a PC or a 'I' dood?

PC!

Well something seems funky then... Hmm.

It many times is just a simple step that is missing.

Did you restart your PC after uninstalling drivers-before installing again? Do you have a USB 3.0 port on your PC?

Actually, what is the computer and it's specs? OS?

Yeah...I tried restarting after removing the drivers and before reinstalling. I don't think I have a USB 3 port on the computer - it's five years old. The cable from the TASCAM is USB 2 as far as I can tell...the insert in the plug is white, not blue.

Here's the info on the computer:

Dell XPS 630

Win 7

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q950 @ 3 GH (four of them)

NVidia GeForce GTS 240 (2 of them)

Memory: 8 GB

System Type: 64 bit operating system

Thanks for the tip on USBDeview. It's not telling me much useful info, though. It looks kind of like your TASCAM device, except that where you're getting "No Yes No No", I'm getting all "Nos".

Well, the TASCAM tech support guy said that if I've tried all the above and it still doesn't work, the box is FUBAR. I called Musician's Friend - where I ordered it - and it looked like I was going to have to send back the whole package deal (the TASCAM, 2 mics, 2 mic stands, cables, headphones, and enough packaging to ship a rhinoceros family) - then re-order a new package. But after some back and forth it turns out I'm just going to have to return the bad box (with a shipping label provided by them), and they'll ship out a new one. We'll see how this goes.

Good deal man, I hope the new box is a keeper.

Just out of curiosity, do your 2 graphics cards make a lot of noise when you try to record? I figure they're not under much load when using a DAW, but still those little cooling fans on the GPUs must be a pain when you have a super-sensitive microphone listening to the room

Good deal man, I hope the new box is a keeper.

Just out of curiosity, do your 2 graphics cards make a lot of noise when you try to record? I figure they're not under much load when using a DAW, but still those little cooling fans on the GPUs must be a pain when you have a super-sensitive microphone listening to the room

My recording in the past has been limited to my old SM-58, which is dynamic. So, yeah, I'm a bit concerned about what these sensitive mics will pick up.

Hmmm...you just got me thinking...so just I tried running a mic cable around the corner from the computer room to the bedroom - which is much quieter - and the cable reaches with no problem. So that's always an option.

Well, unit #2 has just arrived. Plugged it in, installed the drivers, went through all the cable-yanking and re-re-re-installing charades...it's a paperweight. Not sure how two boxes can leave the factory failing to pass a test that can be verified by whether or not an orange light goes on, but that's the way it is. If you're shopping for an audio interface, run, don't walk from this shitbox.

Well, unit #2 has just arrived. Plugged it in, installed the drivers, went through all the cable-yanking and re-re-re-installing charades...it's a paperweight. Not sure how two boxes can leave the factory failing to pass a test that can be verified by whether or not an orange light goes on, but that's the way it is. If you're shopping for an audio interface, run, don't walk from this shitbox.

There must be some issue with your setup man. Something is conflicting.

I seriously doubt you could get two failed interfaces in a row.

Sorry, it has been a while. Do you have another PC to check the interface with? One that doesn't have multiple graphics cards and what not?

It is surely something in your system setup that is fucking with the Tascam. Find what it is.

No...there's no other computers in the house. What else could be going on that's interfering with these things? Their tech support guy said if I've tried all the usual suspects (different USB cable, different port, disconnecting other USB devices, etc) then the box is NG.

Just as a curiosity, try removing and uninstalling drivers/managers for the 2 graphics cards. Run a single monitor off of the integrated graphics card on the motherboard. Then try uninstalling/reinstalling the Tascam.

I suggest this because there are many members here using that same family of interfaces with no issues, but nobody else that I've heard that's running multiple graphics cards. My first impression is that there's some sort of conflict between the GPUs and the Tascam. Are the GPUs running in SLI (linked) mode? Not that I'd have any suggestions if they were, but again, it's just a curiosity.

Just as a curiosity, try removing and uninstalling drivers/managers for the 2 graphics cards. Run a single monitor off of the integrated graphics card on the motherboard. Then try uninstalling/reinstalling the Tascam.

I'll give that a shot, Tadpui...today is hectic but maybe I can get to it tonight.

Take a look at this problem I had....

Recent Windows Update Problem

The update did hose up my USB and if your computer has this recent update, possibly it may be the reason for the issues.

Good tip, Arcaxis..those updates can be nasty...sometimes they'll switch my ICC profile behind my back. But that's not what's going on here, though...I'm already running the 4777 fix.

Back