preys and predators

Riku

Hello everybody! It has been quite a long time...

We started again this homerec. project and finally got the rough mix out. Tell us what do you think about it. I think it sounds kind of rough and loud but that isn't in this case maybe a bad thing. Or is it?

thanks for your opinion

Riku

Last edited:
thanks Supercreep!

I think the sound of the bass is quite moody or simply bad. We have to do something to get it more out there. Any suggestions? Just make it louder? We don't want to redo it.

Riku

rockin song

rocking son man, the only thing that I would try would be a little delay on the vocals, but thats just a personal choice I think. Very heavy tune, I like it!!

Thanks for your reply Radiohead0709. I'm glad that you like it. And yes we could try some vocal enchantmets. I'll keep that on my mind.

Riku

Riku said:
thanks Supercreep!

I think the sound of the bass is quite moody or simply bad. We have to do something to get it more out there. Any suggestions? Just make it louder? We don't want to redo it.

Riku

Well, it dosen't have a lot of character, but I'm not sure that's bad. The bass guitar here seems to play a very supporting role and is not really doing "it's own thing". I would recommend just turning it up a just a little bit.

Supercreep said:
Well, it dosen't have a lot of character, but I'm not sure that's bad. The bass guitar here seems to play a very supporting role and is not really doing "it's own thing". I would recommend just turning it up a just a little bit.

ok. I think I know what you meen. Thanks

Riku

Rich sounding guitar line at :40, could come out more. To my ear the distorted rhythm gtr that's so prominent throughout has a little too much in the 3-4 kHz range. Perhaps would still have a good crunch without harshness if that range was cut a dB or two.

Tim

Thanks again for your valuable advice (Tim, giraffe and Insightnsound) You've been more than helpful.

So this time it seems that we added a little too much of that juicy bass. I think the rhythm guitar should have a "in your face" kind of effect in this song but we could also try to work with that harshness thing.

An Authentic Homerec. Atmosphere. There is a lot of "lo-fi" things going on in this tune. We had to use lampstands (+ ducktape) as micstands and one of the tom mics is going through a Zoom505 which is working as a preamp. The drum kit was recorded with a Sm57 on snare, Sm58's on a kickdrum and on the low tom and an old shure from the seveties on a high tom. We also used a pair of behringers ECM8000. For those two we used a matching Behringer Ultragain pro preamp. Everything else went through possibly the oldest and crapiest mixer in Finland. :)

Thanks for listening.

Riku

Back