Presonus Firebox vs. Echo Gina 3G

vwerner1

I'm upgrading from my Tascam US 224, having had too many USB audio problems.
I've narrowed my choice down to the Firebox or the Gina. I would mainly like to know which one has the best sound quality in terms of preamps, and converters.
Also which is likely to be more stable driver wise?
I'll be using the audio and midi functions, so its important that my card works well in both areas.

Thanks

The newest generation of Echo cards are some of the best-sounding and most stable I've ever tried out. Compared to a company like RME for example, I honestly think they have equal sound quality, equally good drivers, and possibly even better support, but at a lower price. That company just seems to get lost in the shuffle, which is unfortunate for them and for the people missing out on some kickass audio cards.

Just thought I'd throw some love in their direction. With that said, I think you'll find a lot of fans of the Presonus. It's really popular and well-liked these days. If you need the preamps (8 channels worth) then it's really the only game in town at it's price point.

vwerner1 said:
I'm upgrading from my Tascam US 224, having had too many USB audio problems.
I've narrowed my choice down to the Firebox or the Gina. I would mainly like to know which one has the best sound quality in terms of preamps, and converters.
Also which is likely to be more stable driver wise?
I'll be using the audio and midi functions, so its important that my card works well in both areas.

Thanks

USB audio does, indeed, suck. Either of those should be much more reliable. FireWire is probably a better long-term choice, since parallel PCI is being slowly phased out in favor of PCI Express (a serial PCI bus) which isn't compatible with parallel PCI cards.

Just my $0.02.

Firebox drivers are rock solid on my AMD PC. Very happy with the quality of the recorded sound, although I do have to up the gain to 8 in order to generate unity level for my mic. But that's just because of my mic I'd say. It's a CADm177 condenser

Basically the Firebox is my first ever pro-ish card and I couldn't be happier with it.

Back