Pre or post POD?

emser

Hi All!
A friend of mine (from now on, very good friend) gave me his Peavey T.G.Raxx tube pre amp.
My Q is, shall i put it before or after my POD when recording?

tnx

/emser

Wherever is gives you the sound you like?

If they both have line/inst (I know the Pod Pro does) switching, you can go either way. It'd just be a simple "does the preamp make the guitar sound better?" or "does the preamp make the Pod sound better?" situation.

pre or post POD

hi emser

i've battled with this one myself, particularly when adding modulation type FX in as well, cos what i really want is a POD with a send/return loop (which i think the POD pro can!).

this is kinda the way i've always reasoned it: the POD is really supposed to emulate a guitar amp (if you ignore the onboard FX) therefore, things like distortions and wahs and whammys and overdrives etc usually go in line between your guitar and your amp - whereas modulation/delays/reverbs go in loops.

so... i always put any wahs or overdrives BEFORE my POD.

but i'd also agree with mister master that there are very few hard and fastrules here and you pick what sounds best in the long run. i tend to always create sounds for each track i'm doing.

have fun, but i hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
Thank you both,
I guess the best would be to have this line, Guitar, overdrives etc, T.G.Raxx and then the "poweramp" from the pod and finally the "cabinet" from the pod.
I know this isnt possible but it would be great.
What do you think of my pod sounds?
Take a listen at: http://www.soundclick.com/bands/7/emsermusic.htm
"Miracles" have a lot of guitars, let me know what you think

Thank you
/emser (newbie)

WHile there is no clear right or wrong, I run a preamp (in my case a simple ART Tube pre) before the POD - useing the same logic that the POD is my "guitar amp/cab" so I run any processing pre amp/cab

Back