Powering a Soundcraft Auto mixer with a DCP200 power supply

alphadore

I am going to be attempting to use this power supply with a 24CH Soundcraft Auto Mixer. This mixer comes facotry to be powered by the crappy CPS-150 but I think using the DCP200 would be an upgrade. What do ya'll think? Thank you!

Last edited:
I am going to be attempting to use this power supply with a 24CH Soundcraft Auto Mixer. This mixer comes facotry to be powered by the crappy CPS-150 but I think using the DCP200 would be an upgrade. What do ya'll think? Thank you!
Where did you get the CPS-150 was crappy? And theDCP200 doesn't have the connector the CDP-150 has - I wouldn't do it - but that's me.

Wouldn’t it make more sense to use the power supply the engineers specifically designed for the mixer?

What specific model console are you powering? I’m not familiar with a Soundcraft “Auto” mixer.

I also can’t find any info on a DCP200 power supply. Do you have any more info on it?

Wouldn’t it make more sense to use the power supply the engineers specifically designed for the mixer?
Here’s the thing…we don’t really know how to advise the OP…because we don’t know what Soundcraft console they are operating. The CPS150 looks to be a decent linear power supply…looks like it has adequate primary filtration, uses 33x adjustable regulators…what I don’t like is it has a common 0V reference for the +/-17V rails AND the +48V rail. Ideally these would be separate and bonded up at the console frame. It also is rated at 1.25A per side on the audio power rails which could be perfectly fine for a lot of consoles, but, again, we have no idea what 24 channel console is being powered, so no way to try and get schematics or at least parts lists to tally the active devices and calculate the total maximum theoretical power draw of the console to know if it an adequate supply. That’s what you have to do. And we don’t know if the console has local filters in it. The CPS150 has a not too great noise spec. But this might not matter depending on local filtration and the CMMR of the active devices. I had a 32 x 8 Soundtracs console that, with all channels open and up as well as the mix busses, until I upgraded the power supply, would over-draw the power supply sending the whole console into a LF oscillation. The CPS150 weighs about 9lbs…and, again, is rated at 1.25A per side. That’s not a beefy supply. But it’s not nothing either, and, again, might be totally adequate. We just don’t know because we don’t know what it’s trying to drive. The DCP200 is rated at 2.1A per side. I don’t know if it has substantially more iron in it because I can’t find the weight spec. But it does have some more oomph, so the main transformer must be bigger…in a linear supply that’s ultimately what limits the maximum power capacity is the main transformer current handling before it saturates. But we don’t know if that’s at all necessary, 2.1A vs 1.25A per side. I also can’t find a pinout to see if it is the same as the CPS150, or if it has the same connector. So it’s a mystery.

Last edited:
Where did you get the CPS-150 was crappy? And theDCP200 doesn't have the connector the CDP-150 has - I wouldn't do it - but that's me.
I just digested this…I stated in my previous post we don’t know if it’s the same or not, but here we have out answer to that. Thanks.

Yeah I wonder if the OP is actually having any trouble that is power supply related, and if not, I agree. Leave it alone.

I just digested this…I stated in my previous post we don’t know if it’s the same or not, but here we have out answer to that. Thanks.

Yeah I wonder if the OP is actually having any trouble that is power supply related, and if not, I agree. Leave it alone.
The DCP200 outputs 17.1v - 2.1 amps - the CPS-150 outputs 17.1v -2.1 amps - so they are exactly the same - CPS-150 has a MultiPin output and the DCP200 has a MultiPin output - I didn't know that - so there is no difference between the two - the OP decided to call it 'Crappy'.

The DCP200 outputs 17.1v - 2.1 amps - the CPS-150 outputs 17.1v -2.1 amps - so they are exactly the same - CPS-150 has a MultiPin output and the DCP200 has a MultiPin output - I didn't know that - so there is no difference between the two - the OP decided to call it 'Crappy'.
Not correct on the amperage rating, at least according to the service manual for the CPS150 on the Soundcraft website…see page 10 of the pdf found here:

https://www.soundcraft.com/en-US/product_documents/cps150-user-guide-pdf

The +/-17V audio power rails are rated at 1.25A each. Where do you see they are 2.1A?

And, wait…you originally said the two power supplies, the CPS150 and the DCP200, had different interface connectors, but you’re now retracting that? You didn’t really know that? Are you saying you know for fact the are the same or do you really not know? Just because they are “multi-pin” doesn’t mean they are the same. There are literally thousands and thousands of different “multi-pin” connectors in existence.

Not correct on the amperage rating, at least according to the service manual for the CPS150 on the Soundcraft website…see page 10 of the pdf found here:

https://www.soundcraft.com/en-US/product_documents/cps150-user-guide-pdf

The +/-17V audio power rails are rated at 1.25A each. Where do you see they are 2.1A?

And, wait…you originally said the two power supplies, the CPS150 and the DCP200, had different interface connectors, but you’re now retracting that? You didn’t really know that? Are you saying you know for fact the are the same or do you really not know? Just because they are “multi-pin” doesn’t mean they are the same. There are literally thousands and thousands of different “multi-pin” connectors in existence.
You can read it on the back of the devices - now it may only pull 1.2A but its probably rated at 2.1A - and just draws what it needs - BTW in the PDF you cited there is no reference that I can see to the Amps on Page 9 -10 - or 11.

Well to answer my own question, the CPS150 and DCP200 do NOT have the same interface connector. The CPS150 features a 5-pin circular connector…this is from the service manual:

8A0A936E-F23F-4E10-BB13-547E617B1F8A.jpeg

And the DCP200 features a 10-pin circular connector…this is a picture of a DCP200 showing the connector:

7E65CE17-8804-4E48-8429-00697624C82F.png

So you’d have to change the connector on the DCP200, and that’s assuming you could get away with only using 5 of the 10 pins. I can’t find a pinout for the interface connector on a DCP200…I suppose I could look in the manual for a Soundcraft Spirit console…it could probably be made to work if you can find the 5-pin connector, but, again, this all seems like a waste if the OP’s mystery Soundcraft console doesn’t need more than the power rating of the CPS150. But we don’t know that, and I suspect we may not ever find out.

You can read it on the back of the devices - now it may only pull 1.2A but its probably rated at 2.1A - and just draws what it needs - BTW in the PDF you cited there is no reference that I can see to the Amps on Page 9 -10 - or 11.
That’s because you’re not following what I said. You’re probably looking on pages 9, 10 or 11 as numbered in the document. I said “page 10 of the pdf…” which is page number 6 on the document. You also could have just looked for the specifications page. But I’ll help you out with that:

8A3700E0-1267-432D-B1A3-4439413B9BCD.jpeg

Last edited:
Every picture I find of the back of a CPS150 shows +/- “17V @ 1.25A”:

839EF468-3FDF-4D14-9F8A-95B31C7596A6.jpeg

So are you just conjecturing again on the 2.1A for the CPS150, or do you have one that is factory screened 17V @ 2.1A or…? What is your resource that verifies the CPS150 17V rails are rated at 2.1A?

I have a buyer for your dcp200 if you want to sell it.

Back