Post Your Analog Recordings Here...

We put out a new song today after a verrrry long absence: Shoulder Season | Freelove Fenner
We did the old fake mellotron trick on this one (playing a multitrack tape loop with faders).
I've been very offline lately. I'm heartened to see jpmorris, sweetbeats, and few of the other regulars are still rolling tape!

woah thank you... freelove fenner! i'm a big fan
(do not affect is one of the best sounding records in my collection :)
can't wait for Shoulder Season to come out!
also
saw you guys do a show in mtl once, it was awesome!!
Hey thanks! We've always been pretty self-conscious of the live show. Always feels like a work in progress.

It's been a while since I've posted something, so here's a thing:

The synchronization looks perfect. Did you have any issues with your Otari's 9.6khz capstan frequency bleeding when you first made your setup? I had an earsplitting intermittent whine in my tweeters with my MX70 and MicroLynx. I needed to transformer isolate that wire to fix the issue.

The synchronization looks perfect. Did you have any issues with your Otari's 9.6khz capstan frequency bleeding when you first made your setup? I had an earsplitting intermittent whine in my tweeters with my MX70 and MicroLynx. I needed to transformer isolate that wire to fix the issue.

Thanks! I'm not actually using the Otari's sync features at all, it's just outputting timecode on track 24, and the TSR-8 chases it. I've not had any leakage problems from the TASCAM's reference signal either, for that matter.

And yes, I've been a little quiet lately, but will be mixing a new album in a couple of weeks. That won't include the Xerian songs, as I've decided to hold onto those and extend it into a concept album, rather than one of the usual "concept side" thing I usually do, a'la '2112' or 'Hemispheres'.

Nice to hear some more Freelove Fenner as well, I'll have to preorder the new album.

Hi,

this is my first analog recording. It was recorded on Tascam ATR60-8 and mixed via Soundcraft MH-2. Outboard FXs were only DBX166XL and MDX2600 (old one from 90s) compressors, and some guitar reverb in parallel. Drums were recorded into 2 tracks and mixed while recording. After that was recorded bass, 2 guitars and 2 vocals. One track was left for additional ideas, but nothing happend :) Mix is very raw and I really like it.

It's song about being pissed of (from everybody) :)

Hi,

this is my first analog recording. It was recorded on Tascam ATR60-8 and mixed via Soundcraft MH-2. Outboard FXs were only DBX166XL and MDX2600 (old one from 90s) compressors, and some guitar reverb in parallel. Drums were recorded into 2 tracks and mixed while recording. After that was recorded bass, 2 guitars and 2 vocals. One track was left for additional ideas, but nothing happend :) Mix is very raw and I really like it.

This isn't really my genre at all, but the mix sounds very good, and the video was nice, too!

We put out a new song today after a verrrry long absence: Shoulder Season | Freelove Fenner
We did the old fake mellotron trick on this one (playing a multitrack tape loop with faders).
I've been very offline lately. I'm heartened to see jpmorris, sweetbeats, and few of the other regulars are still rolling tape!

This sounds phenomenal! I love the space in the arrangement.
Can you tell me a little more about the mellotron trick please? I'm not familiar with that.

This sounds phenomenal! I love the space in the arrangement.
Can you tell me a little more about the mellotron trick please? I'm not familiar with that.

Thanks for the kind words!

It's pretty straightforward, basically you just make a multitrack tape loop. In this case Jane from the group Tops was kind enough to play a series of very even notes for us. She did a count in for the first note so that the subsequent ones would have the start and roughly the same length. We hooked a guitar tuner up to a second mic for a pitch reference. Once, it was done we just made the loop and patched the tape outs to mixer channels. The join was quite audible (my fault) so we had to use a fair bit of reverb and delay.

Here's a video of me doing a take:
Shoulder Season flute loop

edit: oh I forgot to add, if your machine has an edit/dump mode, using that makes it easier because you don't have to be as persnickety about the tension sensors.

That's a very cool way to do a flute part. I would have never thought to try something like that. Its almost like the old Mellotron!

Thanks for the kind words!

It's pretty straightforward, basically you just make a multitrack tape loop. In this case Jane from the group Tops was kind enough to play a series of very even notes for us. She did a count in for the first note so that the subsequent ones would have the start and roughly the same length. We hooked a guitar tuner up to a second mic for a pitch reference. Once, it was done we just made the loop and patched the tape outs to mixer channels. The join was quite audible (my fault) so we had to use a fair bit of reverb and delay.

Here's a video of me doing a take:
Shoulder Season flute loop

edit: oh I forgot to add, if your machine has an edit/dump mode, using that makes it easier because you don't have to be as persnickety about the tension sensors.

Awesome, thanks for the video! At first, the loop was hard to spot, because I couldn't see the tape moving at all. Then I noticed that extra reel sitting in the back and realized the loop was spooled around it. Very cool!

Hi,

Impressive. I bet there's not many dudes making Metal on a 1/2" 8 track these days. The sheer paucity of tracks (eight compared to eight million in a DAW) means you really have to focus on what's important and not the trivia. Send it to Glenn at the SpectreSoundStudios youtube channel. He'll probably be surprised to hear from a band that uses a real drummer playing actual acoustic drums. Not to mention the whole analogue thing :D

...the mix was a bit rushed but I think it's a good first attempt. Hoping to replace the bad guy voices with guest vocals in a future mix.
This was recorded on an Otari MX80, with the bass and vocals done on a TSR-8 for better auto-punchin. Mixing was done on a Studer A807 in three sections which were then razor-edited together.

This is how I want to sound more like. This is what recorded music sounds like.

If I use my Fostex A8 could that be used in a similar way? Record each track one at a time into the DAW, or how is hybrid recording done?

Last edited:
First time poster (long time lurker!). First time youtuber. First analog tape recording in 24 years. This is an instrumental guitar musical piece in a rock/fusion style:

Listen Here

Last edited:
Back