PortaStudio as Audio Interface

Allarena

Hi HomeRecording fellas! My name is Alex and this is a little bit new for me, I thought about posting this on newbies but I think this section is more appropiate.

I was looking at a Tascam DP-32 and my question for you is ...

Can I use this PortaStudio as an audio interface with a DAW or it is exclusive for portable recording?

Sorry if this is a kind of newb question but ... I'm kind of newb in recording

Thanks in advance for your answers!

No, it cannot be an AI as such AFAICT from the manual.
It would be asking a lot of a £450 device to give you all that track power AND be a 24in 24 out realtime AI as well!

Still, it seems quite easy to import multiple tracks to a PC as .wav and once in there you can mangle them to your hearts!

If you want that many tracks into a PC you are looking at A&H IC16 +2 and £1000+ territory.

Dave.

Thank you very much for both answers! If it was an AI it would be an amazing device! But such as Dave said, I can always record there and import the files into the pc to use those .wav in any DAW, I'll definetively consider this portastudio! Thank you!

Thank you very much for both answers! If it was an AI it would be an amazing device! But such as Dave said, I can always record there and import the files into the pc to use those .wav in any DAW, I'll definetively consider this portastudio! Thank you!

You are most welcome. Now, I don't want to put a damper on your enthusiasm but!
If you intend to "integrate" the DP with a computer there is a slight operational issue re monitoring. Without trawling the manual I am assuming the recorder has a stereo pair output as a rough mix? This will need to feed monitor speakers and/or headphones. Sam for the computer, that will have a stereo output mix to be monitored.

Solution? A Monitor controller with two sets of inputs or! If you are strapped atmo a $50 mixer. There is also the problem of getting a quality monitoring output from the PC? As it stands, any PC or laptop will give you a feed on a (ugh!) 1/8" stereo jack but the quality is not great. For a desktop PC you need a decent PCI* card and there is none better at the price than the M-Audio 2496 (better is the AP 192 but the 2496 is getting rare, 192s are like rocking horse ****!). If you cannot find or afford a decent card or have a laptop the only recourse is a USB interface but you should be able to pickup a second hand M-A fast track pro or a Tascam US 144 quite cheaply.

Lastly, do look for an interface with MIDI. I note that the DP has MIDI ports. Not a clue what for but if you can't connect them we shall never know!

Dave.

Back