Popular songs with pitchy vocals

pitchy vocals and such

Yeah, no pitch perfect going on with the Peppers. I like them as well. It don't have to be perfect to make good songs.

Bowie has a voice that is kinda based on the variation of pitch with his voice. More of a style in my opinion. I don't think any pitch correction software is necessary with a voice like that. It would ruin the personality of his voice.

I agree about Bowie. Peppers too. And when I first heard "Leaving Las Vegas" I thought, "Man, she must be good looking!" Yep, she was/is.
I was going to say - ever hear Dylan's Xmas album??? Ever hear him sing with harmonies before? Does auto-tune exist? I doubt that album
could exist without it.

Bob Dylan. Neil Young. No specific songs. And not just the vocals, but the harmonica playing too. Loved the music though. Great songwriters. Lousy singers. I guess that was their appeal. Oh, and did I mention they couldn't play guitar well, either...

I can't think of any pitchy tunes, except for my own, but they're hardly popular. I was hoping Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead might be pitchy. So I had a listen. But that Irish lass has got a pretty perfect voice. I've got a big girl crush on her. Do you think her voice was pitch corrected? How, and can you even tell if a voice has been worked with pitch correction?

Popular songs with pitchy vocals.....anybody know of any?
I don't know about "popular" but anything with a Sid Vicious vocal. An antelope's farts or a hippo giving birth in captivity are more in tune to his songs than him.
The process to capture Sid's vocals were a waste of electricity ! But at least a few engineers made some money for that session.

Liam has great tone and a great voice, but this song is quite pitchy at times. Especially the chorus.
Probably my favourite single of the 90s. I have never noticed any out of tuneness.
I'm often fascinated when people say "this one or that one is out of tune". I go away and listen to examples and I just can't hear it and I'm a stickler for being in tune. I've upset many a singer for pushing them and not accepting 'almost there' or wiping their vocal because it was fractionally out.

I like David Bowie and I know his pitch is usually questionable!
The example of Bowie throws up an interesting one for me, that is, how some singers can have such magnificent voices on many songs and questionable pitch on less difficult ones. You'd think that someone who could hit the notes on "Life on Mars" with such beautiful melodic precision would have no trouble on far less demanding songs.

Pretty much any punk record.
Punk was really the genre that said "being in tune is irrelevant" on a broad scale. There had been out of tuneys before but they were few and far between. Even the heavy metal singer shouters of the late 60s and 70s were primarily singers that knew that vocals gave songs that extra edge and worked at staying in tune.
Without punk opening that door, I doubt whether hip hop would have become the dominant genre it went on to become, so all you punks that hate rap, appreciate the irony ! :D

Bob Dylan. Neil Young. No specific songs. And not just the vocals, but the harmonica playing too. Loved the music though. Great songwriters. Lousy singers. I guess that was their appeal. Oh, and did I mention they couldn't play guitar well, either...
In all the stuff I've heard of Dylan's, I've never found him out of tune. And it's not just because I'm into Indian music with all it's quarter tones and meands either. I think he had a rough voice, no doubt, but not out of tune.
Neil Young, on the other hand, was sometimes so out of tune that I wondered if he was actually listening to the music ! I think though, that he'd shredded his voice in those gigs early on by giving his all too quickly.
As for their guitar playing, I guess they were simplistic, not virtuoso. Dylan especially played what needed to be played to back what he wanted to say. But both them and others like them were well served by those that played with them as the overall package was more than just them.

all you punks that hate rap, appreciate the irony ! :D
I really do. Always have. I don't like rap in any way shape or form, but I do give a nod of respect to the earliest days of rap because it was black people's punk rock. It was NYC's black music of the street, much like punk was NYC's white music of the street 10 years earlier.

I can't think of any pitchy tunes, except for my own, but they're hardly popular. I was hoping Nothing Compares 2 U by Sinead might be pitchy. So I had a listen. But that Irish lass has got a pretty perfect voice. I've got a big girl crush on her. Do you think her voice was pitch corrected? How, and can you even tell if a voice has been worked with pitch correction?

I don't think she used pitch correction. She doesn't really need to.

Probably my favourite single of the 90s. I have never noticed any out of tuneness.
I'm often fascinated when people say "this one or that one is out of tune". I go away and listen to examples and I just can't hear it and I'm a stickler for being in tune. I've upset many a singer for pushing them and not accepting 'almost there' or wiping their vocal because it was fractionally out.

I just meant when he sustains the notes like "maybe" "save me" and "after all" you can hear drifting in his pitch.

Would you say there was a similarity in melismas and what you refer to as 'drifting in pitch' ?

Not quite. I just simply meant it sounds like his drift wobbles a bit when sustaining those notes. Which is not a bad thing, It's just something I could always hear. 3:13-3:14 in the video is where I hear it most.

Pretty much all early Modest Mouse is pretty pitchy. Very Dylan-esque

That's the best kind of pitchy vocals right there.

Back