Pops - Need more Ram?

utsman

When using some VST instruments or some big pugins I am starting to get pops . When I just record audio and only use the cubase plugins it works fine. The processor never works harder thean about 20% and the hard disk metre doesn't even register. Do I need more RAm for midi and VST intruments. I only have 256mb.

UTSMAN

Ram is your friend :) Not sure what OS you're using, but I'm using XP Pro and have never been lower than 512 megs. What type processor do you have and what type of sound card/interface do you have? Adjusting latency might be helpful as well.

I'm running an AMD Athlon XP 3000+ with 1 gig of ram....no real performance issues with VST instruments and/or plugins. I don't go too crazy with plugins, but I haven't experienced dropouts and the like.

P.S. I don't use Cubase anymore, but had this same config while using Cubase SX3.

utsman said:
When using some VST instruments or some big pugins I am starting to get pops . When I just record audio and only use the cubase plugins it works fine. The processor never works harder thean about 20% and the hard disk metre doesn't even register. Do I need more RAm for midi and VST intruments. I only have 256mb.

UTSMAN
256mb RAM is WAY too low to be running multiple tracks with any kind of serious plugins on board. Personally, I won't even use a computer for playing solitare if it's got less than 512mb, just because RAM is so cheap nowadays that there's no excuse not to have at least that much. Anyway, back to the question. Plugins require a great deal more RAM because they have to do all their processing on-the-fly. While still keeping track of the original signal, it has to (greatly simplified) duplicate the audio data (which may or may not involve previous and future data), do whatever processing it needs on it, and then be able to mix that effect back in with the original signal, all without stopping to wait on the comparatively sluggish hard drive. Therefore, it must do all these things in RAM.

I'm having a similar problem, and I only have 256 MB RAM. I recently mail ordered a 512 MB memory stick to add to my computer, so I'll have a net total of 768 MB. Will that be enough?

You still may need to fiddle with your buffer size. It's best and usually easiest to do this in the soundcards settings rather than in cubase.

That's actually another question I have. I'm using a 12" Powerbook which just runs the internal soundcard with mac's core audio driver. How do I adjust the buffer size? If it matters, my audio interface is a Firepod.

Adjust the buffers in the firepods mixer dock. Those are the ones that count. You shouldn't be using the onboard soundcard at all. Using it would only compromise your sound quality.

warble said:
Ram is your friend :) Not sure what OS you're using, but I'm using XP Pro and have never been lower than 512 megs. What type processor do you have and what type of sound card/interface do you have? Adjusting latency might be helpful as well.

I am using an Athlon 2000+ processor and a Tascam Us122 interface. I have adjusted the buffer settings to get rid of latency, and as I said it has worked fine until I brought in the midi and VST instruments

More Ram it is.
UTSMAN

although more ram is good, i think its your buffers.... you may have to deal with a bit of latency to remove the pops... my old setup had 1 gig of ram and still needed 250ms of latency to run what i needed...

also make sure you have the latest drivers for your interface... thats mostly what new drivers do (lower latency and streamline performance)

gl

Yeah, that Tascam is USB isn't it? I'm guessing you'll have to bump up the buffers too and I don't imagine you'll get low latency for doing what you want to.

I'd still shoot for more ram though (as you stated you will).

Thanks for the help guys.
Yes the Us122 is a USB interface. So I might need to sacrifice latency for pops. Can I leave the buffer as is for recording(maybe mute a few tracks to lessen the load) and then change it for play back and mixing? I only get pops during playback (I think). That way I can here what I am playing in time with the other tracks while recording, then change buffer and get rid of pops for mixing. The pops won't show up in a mix down anyway-will they?

UTSMAN

Back