Pmc #13

:D I really meant to and already started mixing, but I have to take care of other things right now, so I don't know if I'll be able to finish my mix. In the meantime, I'll resort to being a smart ass.:D

There is no resorting for you! :eek:

I keep dropping in on this thread to check when the judging begins but, if I miss it or am no where to be found could someone PM me please.
Looking forward to it.

Thanks

F.S.

Nice mix. And finally someone who dealt with the plosives on the main vocals.

Here is a GREAT learning oppertunity. What are the BEST ways to reduce plosives?

I usually take care of them at the time of tracking the vocals.

@chrisharris: Sorry, that went by me. I just noticed that however good the mixes I listened to were, those plosives at the beginning of the second verse always seemed to stick out and I began to question my hearing.:D

@fishmed: Post-tracking, there is not much one can do besides lowcuts or editing, IMO.

Ive got some pare time for once.
So I'm gona have a go at this mix. Only listened to the 1st mix, not gona listen to any more till I'm finished my mix.

When is the deadline?

Eck

Here is a GREAT learning oppertunity. What are the BEST ways to reduce plosives?

I usually take care of them at the time of tracking the vocals.

There's just about nothing in a vocal that's worth a shit below 110Hz. The first thing I do before I start mixing is to highpass vocals at 110Hz, and acoustic/electric guitars at 80Hz.

A wise man told me once that the best way to high pass/low cut your tracks is to keep raising the cutoff until you can HEAR a difference in the track, then back off a little bit. It's just that after enough mixes, I know that I can usually HEAR the change in a vocal at around 110Hz and guitars at 80Hz.

There's just about nothing in a vocal that's worth a shit below 110Hz. The first thing I do before I start mixing is to highpass vocals at 110Hz, and acoustic/electric guitars at 80Hz.

A wise man told me once that the best way to high pass/low cut your tracks is to keep raising the cutoff until you can HEAR a difference in the track, then back off a little bit. It's just that after enough mixes, I know that I can usually HEAR the change in a vocal at around 110Hz and guitars at 80Hz.

That is how I usually handle Reverb for vocals, but within the context of the mix.

Honestly, I never had to deal with fixing plosives on tracks before. After submitting my previous post I did a quick search (should have done that first :o ); anyways, I read a good way is to automate the volume to lower the vocals where the plosives occur. I thought about that myself before, but thought that process could get a bit tedious. I will try the 110Hz low cut and see how it goes from there.

I want to play!

hey there, I've never done one of these mix contests, but i'd like to try it out!
I'm dowloadig the zip file now, and have about 20 minutes to go. I assume they are wav. files, and you can just import them into your recording program?

JasonBird

Thanks for the comments above guys. I'm not happy with it but I'm never happy anyway.
To answer the question about plosives, yes Hi-pass filter is the best way as long as your not recording Barry White (oops you can't... RIP).
The best solution is to avoid it during tracking with a pop filter or by "angling" the mic deifferently or using the pencil trick.
Also a multiband compressor can do wonders.

Back