Please point me in the right direction

Krystof01

Hey,
I'm looking for a little guidance. I was looking at buying a new Korg D series or Roland VS DAW to upgrade from my old D1600 setup. I mix my music in Cubase SX3 but have always tried to stay away from recording to computer for mobility & latency issues etc.

Apart from maybe the VS2480, every unit (vs2000, 2400, D32XD, D3200 etc.) has some major flaw so I've decided to go down the computer road since I mix there anyway.

Basically I require the ability to be record at least 12-16 analogue tracks at 24bit simultaneously. Most of the preamps/interfaces from what I can see have a maximum of 8 xlr ins and I don't know how easy it is to pair them up and what the requirements of the computer would be. I've got the mics, leads, monitors etc. so that isn't an issue. Budget is and isn't an issue. I want a semi-pro setup and don't want to be buying cheap and having to buy twice so if this means if I have to wait a little longer and save up more then I will but I don't know where to start as there are so many options.

Baring in mind I want to be able to record up to 16 tracks simultaneous can you help me decide:
Min requirements for computer (please tell me if not enough):
Min 512 RAM
2 * Hard drives, at least 7200 RPM
I've got 2 LCD monitors so I'll need a dual VGA card

Computer - Cube / Carillon / Dual Core / Xeon ??
Pentium 3 or 4 / AMD ??
Soundcard ??
Audio Interface(s) ??
Preamps ??

It seems that RME is about the level I want from reading other threads; is that wise. I've looked mainly at RME, MOTU & Presonus gear; as I want up to 16 inputs i might look to get say a Presonus Firepod (8 xlr ins), RME quadmic (4) or Octa mic (8) and then a really high quality 1 0r 2 channel preamp for vocals.

The only relevant gear that I have to this thread is a Tascam US-122 (used for monitoring my mixes at the moment), Behringer BCF2000 control surface (looking at a Tascam US2400) & a M-Audio Tampa preamp and compressor.

The only other twist is that I do a lot of live and location recording (hence wanting to stay away from computer recording) I have also been considering getting a standalone unit like:
Alesis HD24XR
Tascam 2424
Mackie 24/96

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance for any help

The Firepod can only do 10 channels simultaneously, but has the ability to connect more than one unit together, though I've heard of people having some issues in that department. That being said I own a firepod and think it is a great unit with solid drivers, I've just never tried the 2 firepod thing. Anyways, the RME Fireface would be a killer unit. (I used to own one but had to slim down for financial reasons). it has 4 preamps and 8 line ins that gives 10 total analog ins (2 pres are shared with lines) and also has 2 ADAT ins for 16 additional channels that you could put something like the Focusrite Octopre, Presonus Digimax, or Mackie Onyx 800R on.

As far as computer is concerned, I would go with a Gig of Ram, definitely 2 hard drives at 7200 RPM's, and then the fastest processor you can afford. The AMD Dual Cores are getting a lot of rave reviews and seem to be smokin for audio.

I've owned a VS-2480 since launch week, and it's perfect for mobile and versitile recording. The 16 pre-amps and 8 xlrs with phantom power make recording stuff like full live bands possible.

I have a RME Multiface arriving today, I'll post my impressions ASAP. I was looking at the Fireface, and decided it was slight overkill. The Multiface has no pres, 8 TRS ins, 1x ADAT, 1X SPDIF, 1X MIDI (18 in/outs + Midi). It's PCI, (or the laptop equivalent of PC, you buy the card separately) but the breakout box connects to the card with a single cable. I eBayed a new Multiface+card combo for $725, shipped.

On the 8-pre plus converter front, I await with open ears. My knee-jerk reaction is Onyx 800r, selectable imp, good gain, lines in, MS matrix, good rep on the pres. I will eventually get a ISA 428 + AD card, so I worry that the Onyx will be abandoned, so I might stick with an Octane or something. Point of reference: I mostly use the pres on my Spirit Folio SX, and they seem OK.

Does anybody think the 800r is good enough that I would continue to use it with the RME's TRS inputs after I graduate to a 428?

Sorry for the thread-jack, but I think it might be the same question you are asking anyway.

Krystof01 said:
Just been checking out the MOTU HD192; would that be a decent way to go? 12 xlr ins, firewire audio interface, what are the preamps like?

The HD192 doesn't have pre-amps, does it? 12 XLR balanced ins.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the 192 would make a kickin' front end for a DAW.

Yeah warble; looks like your right on the pre's for the 192. How about the MOTU 896 instead?

I could link this or as cawhite12 said a RME unit with ADAT to say a Focusrite Octopre to achieve the desired in's; are there any PC related confilcts I should be aware of linking two different units?

Chibi Nappa; like i said the vs2480 is the only unit that might work for my requirements but i've grown increasingly sceptical of the standalone DAW's as there are always new models coming out, they need expanding for effects etc and since i mix in cubase sx3 anyway i reckon i'm going to be the next inline to conceede that the computer route is the way to go

thanks,
keep it coming; it's all a lurning curve

I used to own a MOTU 896 (first one) and thought it sounded pretty good. The pre's were usable, but seemed a little "dark" to me (for lack of a better word). The 896HD (current) I *think* is a better unit, but I haven't used one. Might be the same pre's in both, but in the 896HD the converters are a step up in quality from the original 896.

Haven't used RME stuff, but a friend uses the HDSP 9652 in his studio and can't say enough good about it - especially the TotalMix routing.

Back