Please Mix This - A Challenge (really, very challenging)

Yeah, I went with school #1 as an extra challenge.

> ( I learned an important lesson here)

I keep learning that one...... :)

But there is another "school" division here: Those that tried to make it louder vs. those that tried to make it more intimate. The maxed-out waveform of the "volume maximizer" plug was evident here and there. Certainly not part of any of Chris's tracks.

PG: I am awed at that bass rebirth. And you and the rest that 86ed the drums called it right. That's OK- 'cause I still don't think the rest of my track treatments stood up to the best mixes.

Crawdad went DrStawl on this one! I was wondering why it was only a minute while I was downloading it... another stawl tradition having a one minute song.... :)

caryindy said:
I see we had two schools of thought here.

Groucho - nice mix and good call on removing the drums and bass. I think I would have liked the acoustics panned out a little. Until the harmony vocals come in, I thought you did a mono mix. :-)

After listening to all these mixes this song is so embedded in my brain it's *never* coming out. I mean, it's a catchy tune to begin with but after spending a few hours mixing it, then listening to god knows how many other versions... it's a part of my mind now I believe.

On the acoustics, I would have a actually preferred just one guitar. I'm not a fan of the panning acoustics tricks on country-ish singer-songwriter stuff. It works better on more atomospheric stuff. Some of the mixes I listened to had the panning flashing back and forth in a most bizarre way. It helps to ocassionally check your mix in headphones - sometimes those panning tricks sound good until you put on the cans!

Those that tried to make it louder vs. those that tried to make it more intimate. The maxed-out waveform of the "volume maximizer" plug was evident here and there.

Shoot, on a mix that's already as compressed as this one - from mp3s? No way I'm doing any more squashing. Loud is nice, but hardly the first priority.

Chris

Yes Dr, you've made a good point. I wonder how many people here have sent their whole mix through a limiter to get the mix 'louder'? It goes against the law "Thou shalt not master thy own mixes". Blue bear is going to come in here and beat us silly. :-)

Although I could play the slide and steel parts okay... I can't seem to bring them into Vegas.

Any ideas?

It's the same problem that BeatDaddy has.

I'm forcing my schedule to play with this for a few minutes...

Hats off again to you, Chris Harris.... you are the monster!

Doug Quance said:
Although I could play the slide and steel parts okay... I can't seem to bring them into Vegas.

Any ideas?

It's the same problem that BeatDaddy has.

I'm forcing my schedule to play with this for a few minutes...

Hats off again to you, Chris Harris.... you are the monster!

Doug- I had the same problem. Vegas does not recognize Crawdad's VBR codec. I converted them to .wav in Nero and then imported them into Vegas.

Yeah.......I had to convert the files into wavs also before I could committ any sonic atrocities.:eek:

You know...keeping my comments to myself was damned easy when my internet connection went south last night, lol.

I have some listening to do.

People, I have to say, this is the most eye opening experience; I totally recommend it, and I can't thank you all enough for doing it. I have a lot of mixes to catch up on, but I shit you not when I say that I've learned something from every single mix I've heard.

For one; I'm shocked at how much louder other people mix *your* vocal...I mean, I don't usually have anybody telling me to turn my vocals up, lmao...but you people are freaks, lmao.

Okay, like I said in the original post, the shitty drums and shitty bass are,...well...they should help seperate the men from the lesser men, eh? :D

I'm a lesser man, and I couldn't deal with them anymore, and since I'm not playing, I redid the drums and bass...

I know, without a doubt, this is one of the better mixes I've ever done, and I have the clinic to thank.

I took parts from just about every mix I've listened to so far in some way.

Anyway, here's my unofficial, totally cheating, disqualified version.

:D

"Juliet"
www.nowhereradio.com/honestmango/singles

(oh yeah, I'll be responding to this thread a bunch as I listen to stuff, so don't bitch at me for bumping, okay? :D - This thread is no longer mine, lol).

Obviously, when I said I borrowed stuff from every mix I'd heard, lmao...I HAD NOT heard Crawdad's...

The shitty part is, it still blows mine away, lol. :D

Excellent RE-tracking and re-mix Chris!

Man Im glad those old drums are gone.LMAO!

I think I hear a few more vocal tracks in there too?Sounds nice and full.

Nice backwards effect.......Whoa!Cool tempo change!

You got everything right to my ears.Everything is well placed and that probably has a little bit to do with your listening to how everybody else placed the instruments in the stereo field eh?;)

This was a fruitful exrecise.

The new mix sounds great Chris. Only two slight comments. One, the low background vocal is a bit too hot--its competing with the lead. second, --what is that backwards thing doing in there?!!!!! :D Other than that, you got it rockin'!

Chris, I don't know squat about mixing, But I know a damn good tune when I hear it! F#@^!ng awesome man!

bd

Kramer said:
This was a fruitful exrecise.
Hopefully, it'll continue to be. I remixed it b/c I couldn't get online, lol...We still have to rape,...ummm...I mean "rate" all the participants later :D

crawdad Screw you, it's perfect...naw, I'm kidding...hehehe...the psychadelic git thing (that's mixed really loud :D) is for fun... (I figured it would get noticed). I have 2 mixes without it :D - Thanks for the bg vocal comment, btw...after listening to nothing but the bass and drums for about half a day, I kinda' forgot to listen to the vocals.

bdbdbuck - thanks man...You can thank Crawdad for the tune - it's now become a kind of never-ending project for me at this point, lol.

Never ending project? Lol! Next will be the 12 alternate mixes of Juliet as a CD, right? But, will my dance mix make the cut? Then, maybe we can get a bunch of other artists to cover the song and release that as a separate CD too.

But wait....I still have my own version of this song to finish! Maybe we can get somebody to cut this and I won't worry about doing a demo for myself!

drstawl said:
Doug- I had the same problem. Vegas does not recognize Crawdad's VBR codec. I converted them to .wav in Nero and then imported them into Vegas.
Any way that you can re-encode them so we might get to use them? (I would ask for the .wav - but that's asking a lot)

Hmm... will SoundForge convert them?

This is kinda difficult when I'm trying to get work done... but this editing station keeps staring at me from across the room...

:D

Well, SoundForge was no help.

Nor was Batch Converter.

Anybody got a solution for us "software challenged" folks?

Doug Quance said:

You da man!
Naw...if I was cool, I'd have converted them myself and uploaded, but then I'd be going against one of the "items" in my original post, and we can't have that.

(actually, I haven't b/c there are 2 cool people hosting the files... :D)

Doug Quance said:
Big Godzilla-sized Monster Chris!

You da man!

Killer little program, BTW!

Chris turned me onto that program months ago and I have to say,that is the best piece of software I've came across into in a long time,AND it's free!

I had a go at it.. the drums were... well.. so I went and did some very basic drums in Fruity Loops (and learned the FL can do 102.1, or in my case, 204.200bpm)

It's late at night here, so I mixed it in my cheapo philips-cans. I'll check it in the monitors tomorrow.

Nice song there, Chris.. :)

http://hem.tyfon.net/wa0043/mp3/

chrisharrismeshmix.mp3

uuh... bedtime..

Back