Please Mix This - A Challenge (really, very challenging)

My Contribution!!

Chris,

Hey Fellas!!!!! Man it's been a while since I've had the time to visit the BBS. I have finally got my Jr. Studio setup and am willing to contribute to the challenge.:rolleyes:

I'm still a Newbie at mixdowns, but I think this doesn't sound too bad.

Chris I keep getting an error message when I try to open the "slide" & "steel", so they aren't in the mix, but I am going to put up a collaboration with some other instruments I think will work!

Later!!

Alright, here's the EQ for the bass!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes: I had to do something, the bottom was HUGE!!!!!!!!!:D (pun intended)

Attachments

• bass eq pic.webp
    bass eq pic.webp
    49.1 KB · Views: 189
Here's what the final mix looked like!!!!!!!!!!!!!:eek: :eek:

The freakin meter's are PEGGED!!!!!!!!! but i don't here any clipping? did anyone notice clipping? why is this? usually above 0-db thing's go south real fast! but this time it's just LOUD!

I'm so confrused!!!!!!!:confused:

Attachments

• plastered!.webp
    plastered!.webp
    45.4 KB · Views: 178
drstawl said:
That's hilarious! I downloaded a bunch of mixes and one of 'em came up named LT-Juliet.mp3. Maybe someone else did a "lite" mix???? I really don't recall the link I followed but I thought you had one up... oh well! It was recorded at 192.

In this case "LT" is LooneyTunez.;)

Kramer said:
I think Doc got me mixed up with you fender.:D

That's a BIG 10/4 good buddy...............over......:D

Doc...LT mix is "looneytoonz" mix! just figured it out! i can mark another one off my list!

EDIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Kramer beat me! (pun intended):D

And I'm supposed to sync up Al's parts how exactly?
There isn't any click or drums at the beginning......sure I can 'earball' it.....but there's no way I'm gonna get it exactly where he played it since they are mostly swells and slides without any sharp reference points. Hmmmmmmmm
Maybe I won't be done 'till tomorrow. :D :rolleyes:

CRAWDADDY!!!!!! Damnit man, i'm trying to go to bed! I check in one last time and i see that you posted something!

Now i'm all giggly and shit!:D

Like butter....your on a roll!!!!!! NICE!:D

Excellent!!

Dance Mix LMAO

Actually this is one of the best learning experiences I could get.

This was a GREAT idea, Thanks Chris

I like the version without the drums

because

"Even I"

think they suck!

LOL

And we know how bad thats gotta be :D

Peace
Bill

pg had a tasty mix although I think he slipped in a shill bass line and dumped the drums. I liked the position of the lap stell and slide tracks in this mix. Proper country placement.

Ha! The bass was Chris's, as much as I would have liked to recut it :D.

And I don't see dumping the drums (or any other tracks, ala groucho's mix) as cheating. Adding tracks would be, but there's no requirement to use every track just because it was recorded.

Problem: Drums suck.

Solution: Bye-bye drums.

pglewis said:
Ha! The bass was Chris's, as much as I would have liked to recut it :D.

And I don't see dumping the drums (or any other tracks, ala groucho's mix) as cheating. Adding tracks would be, but there's no requirement to use every track just because it was recorded.

Problem: Drums suck.

Solution: Bye-bye drums.

Yeah, this was my thinking. I don't really see any point in working with something that *no one* could make sound good - and I'm afraid the bass and drums fall into that category. To me, the idea behind any mix is to make it sound the best you can with what you got - if that means doing an acapella mix, then that's what you do!

The thing is, each part of the mix is related to the other. I eq each piece according to what's happening with the other pieces, and if one is a hopeless turd it screws everything up beyond hope.

Besides, I hate drums... even good ones.:)

But all this is beside the point, cause crawdad's mix is the best.

Chris

christiaan said:
Listening to your mix for the third time in a row. Great call to ditch the drums. This mix is excellent!

I forgot to add this: Kudos to Chris for writing and performing a wonderful song! I'm really enjoying this one.

I see we had two schools of thought here.

1. Do the best to make everything sound it's best. Use all the tracks.
2. Only use what sounds good to make the best mix possible. ( I learned an important lesson here)

Groucho - nice mix and good call on removing the drums and bass. I think I would have liked the acoustics panned out a little. Until the harmony vocals come in, I thought you did a mono mix. :-)

pglewis - Nice job, good call on no drums, a little darker than groucho's mix.

Looney Tunez - A little wetter mix than the rest of the bunch. I like the sonic balance - it sounded good to me. I felt this was one of the better mixes with the drums.

Fender - This one was nice too. Definitely louder drums which gave the tune the country rock feel. I dig it. I think the bass could have been up a little more.

CRAWDAD! amazing! :-)

There are so many mixes. Man, this was a hit Chris!

Back