Please help! Advice needed connecting to House Sound

money167

My buddy can't afford to hire a DJ for his small wedding party so I'm trying to help out with my entry level mixer. The AV manager at the venue is warning us about the hum from my little mixer, therefore we want to make sure everything hook up correctly with proper cables. Unfortunately my mixer doesn't has a XLR output but two Mono L/R 1/4 inch. Please give me some advice in terms of what specific cable/splitter to purchase before his wedding. Attached a drawing for Ref. Thank you in advance!

Vti6zU.jpg

Last edited:
here you go.

Pro Co EXHQXM-25 - 25' | Sweetwater.com.

FYI per the manual, the mains out is a unbalanced TS, not TRS. you can also use a DI box and most have ground lift switches.

Thx Atkron205! At the manual spec page of the UB1002, they claimed the main out is a TRS unbalanced (I was confused, too. attached image ref).

The cable you posted is a single channel cable and my mixer separated the L and R channel, I was thinking about outputting just the Left channel using that cable. Will there is any issue? For example, if only the left channel from the iPod get sent to the House Sound?

On the other hand, will outputting from unbalanced to XLR balanced cause any hum/distortion issues? Thx!

du84dR.jpg

Last edited:
page 7 of the manual, main mix section is what I was referring to. "the main out connectors are unbalanced mono jacks" may be a typo. if they are really TRS then this cable will work.

Pro Co BPBQXM-20 Excellines Balanced Patch Cable - 20' | Sweetwater.com

you need to be sure, maybe call tech support or open it up and look at the connectors. 2 wires = TS, 3 wires = TRS. you may get a hum if the correct cable is not used. The specs section does state TRS, so one of them is wrong:wtf:

use the left output, connect the left and right signal from the Ipod to 2 channels and pan both to the left.

Last edited:
I think I will get both the TS to XLR and TRS to XLR to test and return the one that doesn't work. It will be more complex using a splitter (to combine L and R to Mono), therefore I will just hook up the Left and try to turn everything Mono on the mixer... Let me know if I'm wrong, thank you.

I would refer to Sound System Interconnection. An unbalanced TRS connector may be "floating unbalanced". The link gives instructions for wiring a cable to connect that to a fully balanced XLR input, but an off-the-shelf TRS to XLR should work in that case.

I think I will get both the TS to XLR and TRS to XLR to test and return the one that doesn't work. It will be more complex using a splitter (to combine L and R to Mono), therefore I will just hook up the Left and try to turn everything Mono on the mixer... Let me know if I'm wrong, thank you.

No need for a splitter if you just run mono, connect the left side of the Ipod to one channel on the mixer, connect the right side to another channel on the mixer, pan both channels to the left and use the left output to connect to the house PA. you will still get both sides from the Ipod, it will just come out mono in the house PA.

Don't use a splitter. To combine two signals you need at least some resistors to isolate the left and right outputs. If you have enough input channels you could put the iPod left into one stereo channel (mono L) and iPod right into another stereo channel (mono L) to be sure you get them both into the house system. You can leave them panned center.

That's so smart! Thank you Atkron!

No need for a splitter if you just run mono, connect the left side of the Ipod to one channel on the mixer, connect the right side to another channel on the mixer, pan both channels to the left and use the left output to connect to the house PA. you will still get both sides from the Ipod, it will just come out mono in the house PA.

Don't use a splitter. To combine two signals you need at least some resistors to isolate the left and right outputs. If you have enough input channels you could put the iPod left into one stereo channel (mono L) and iPod right into another stereo channel (mono L) to be sure you get them both into the house system. You can leave them panned center.

channels 1-4 are mono with a 1/4 inch input. use channel 1 for left, channel 2 for right. pan both channels to the left. use the left output. easy.:D

channels 1-4 are mono with a 1/4 inch input. use channel 1 for left, channel 2 for right. pan both channels to the left. use the left output. easy.:D

The 1002 only has two mono inputs and I thought it might be nice to leave them open for DJ or announcement mics. The stereo channels don't have the gain controls which is probably simpler to deal with anyway. Panning won't make much difference (about 3dB for pan law on the mono channels) as long as they're not panned away from whichever output is used.

The 1002 only has two mono inputs and I thought it might be nice to leave them open for DJ or announcement mics. The stereo channels don't have the gain controls which is probably simpler to deal with anyway. Panning won't make much difference (about 3dB for pan law on the mono channels) as long as they're not panned away from whichever output is used.

Really? maybe I looked at the wrong manual. Ok Im stupid:facepalm:I looked at the 1202. OP, is the Ipod the only device that will be connected?

Really? maybe I looked at the wrong manual. Ok Im stupid:facepalm:I looked at the 1202. OP, is the Ipod the only device that will be connected?

The UB1002 has 4 Mono input. Here, please see attached image, this is what I'm planning to do (just ordered some cables). I'm hoping the Main Out on the LEFT to PA will be ok (I ordered a 1/4 TRS to XLR TRS for this purpose).

BuilBw.jpg

Last edited:
The UB1002 has 4 Mono input. Here, please see attached image, this is what I'm planning to do (just ordered some cables). I'm hoping the Main Out on the LEFT to PA will be ok (I ordered a 1/4 TRS to XLR TRS for this purpose).

Looks good. Boulder is correct. Will you have a chance to test it beforehand?

Looks good. Boulder is correct. Will you have a chance to test it beforehand?

Yes, we should have 1 chance to test out the system before wedding. I ordered a simple 1/4" TRS to XLR short cable and a 25ft XLR extension to connect the PA XLR jack on the wall. I hope everything goes smooth from this point on. Thank you guys.

Back